Pci-E graphics port priority?

tornn

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
I have an sli motherboard but only 1 Pci-E graphics card atm. To make room in my case I want to know if it matters if I plug the card into the second sli port or must it go in the primary slot? I reckon it doesn't really matter but I want to be sure first. Any help would be appreciated thank.

Matt

tornn

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Ok, just want to finish what I began. I tried the card in both ports and both work fine. So no problems.

I RTFM and it didn't help, thats why I posted this thread. I went to the gigabyte website for the PDF and it didn't state it either. I actually found that the Gigabyte manual and PDF were pretty poor at actually answering any questions I had , the information was just to brief in description. I also had to update the bios to id my cpu correctly but gigabyte provides little information on their bios updates, I had to find all the info from the community sites and forums such as here.

Anyway thanks to those who tried to help.

Matt

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Often the secondary PCI-E port may run at a lower link width then the full PCI-E X16.

The card will run at the lower X8 and X4 connections but may be bottlenecked.

What model motherboard do you have?

tornn

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
I have the gigabyte ma790fxt-ud5p rev 1.0. Ok, good to know about the lower X8 and X4 connection. I will try both ports to check the difference.
Thanks for the info dj.

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Ok, your board has:

"2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (The PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots support ATI CrossFireX technology, and conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.) "

So there should be absolutly no problem running your card in either slot, both will perform equally. :)

tornn

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Ok, thanks again DJ.

Thanks for confirming that, that is what I thought but I wasn't 100% sure if it would make a difference. I was mainly thinking that one slot might have a priority over the other but you have cleared that up. Thanks