PCI-e: Not sure how to connect graphics card to power supply

ElricOfGrans

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
I have just purchased an EVGA GeForce GTX 680. I plugged it into the PCIe slot and now need to connect to power, but I have a small problem.

The card comes with an 8-pin splitter that connects to two points on the card. The PCIe power cable from my supply looks as though it can be 6-pin OR 8-pin, depending on the needs. I first want to confirm that I am right in my evaluation and secondly identify how to connect this to the 8-pin adapter. I have included pictures of both the cable from the power supply and the adapter to connect this to the card.

download_zps7e252d69.jpg

download2_zpsa81f79f6.jpg

Thats a wierd splitter? Never seen on like that. But yes the pcie power cable in the first picture can be used as a 6 or 8 pin and the other two pins can only lock in one way. You shouldnt need that other piece if your power supply has two 8 pin pcie connectors. Just force them in there they can only go in one way

ElricOfGrans

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Thanks for the help. I did not realise there was only one way to do it, but that photo is a heck of a lot clearer than real life. They should make them that big in the first place :p

My power supply has room for two 8-pins, but only one is currently in the system. Guess I will need to pick up an extra cable, but that is easily done.

IAMEXTREME

Honorable

Glad to help!

Good luck :)