Question PCI-E riser cable temperature resistance

Destim

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
Hi,

I was wondering how much heat the following cable can resist (direct contact with the GPU backplate)
Operating temperature in specifications show -20 to +80 degrees celcius in specs.. but it doesn't specify if this is direct contact temperature/air temperature.
I contacted Thermaltake through support but they haven't replied so far.. (been 1-2 weeks now)

I've noticed my GPU hotspot sometimes exceeding that temperature (around 86 degrees) and my pcie cable is right behind the hotspot.
It's probably difficult to get some closure on this, but i'm fairly certain a lot of other people have a similar situation like me.

I've been running this setup for around a week now, there are some slight wear marks on the contact area's but this looks more like friction marks imho. (no melting by the looks of it)

Some pictures:
QzcfT73.jpg

Aproximate area where the cable touches the backplate:
dap1OMe.jpg

q9Krz0W.jpg

ExLakrE.jpg

dCYwG0d.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
If I were you, I'd try and use duct tape to create a shielding between the riser cable and the back of the GPU. That's the simplest way of doing things...you could also try and tuck the cable a little more away from the backplate. The last thing you could do, is use reflective tape on the riser as shielding.

Destim

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
If I were you, I'd try and use duct tape to create a shielding between the riser cable and the back of the GPU. That's the simplest way of doing things...you could also try and tuck the cable a little more away from the backplate. The last thing you could do, is use reflective tape on the riser as shielding.
Tucking it away is pretty much impossible sadly.
Will duct tape provide more heat resistance than the actual cable isolation?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You're not going to see 100% transfer of heat from the hotspot through the PCB to the mounting hardware. Even if it's physically touching, that's not going to be 80'C+ - as long as there's *some* airflow and it's not completely starved on air.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about this - but Lutfij's suggestions are sound if you are.

Reactions: Destim

Destim

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
You're not going to see 100% transfer of heat from the hotspot through the PCB to the mounting hardware. Even if it's physically touching, that's not going to be 80'C+ - as long as there's *some* airflow and it's not completely starved on air.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about this - but Lutfij's suggestions are sound if you are.
Makes sense.
I think for peace of mind i will be using some reflective tape.. the cable was quite expensive.
Reflective tape == aluminium tape?

Destim

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
I applied some aluminium reflective tape that can handle 160+ degrees on the riser cable (where it touches the GPU backplate)
Not sure if it will make a difference, but at least i have some peace of mind now.
Thanks guys.