PCI-E Slot Broke

CrashMan054

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Hello all,
When attempting to repair my PC, I dropped it a small distance(about 2 inches). Everything was fine, but my video card was bent at an odd angle. I unscrewed it and tried to remove it, but it was stuck in the PCI-E slot. I tried to push the tab in, but it wouldn't come out. I eventually tried to force it out, and the plastic covering for the PCI-E slot popped off! I put the card in the second slot(SLI mobo) and it works fine, but the other one doesn't have a cover. The pins are still intact on the mobo, but judging by the size, I doubt I'd be able to repair them. Should I do anything to the pins? Will they cause a short?

Solution
If they come into contact with anything or enough dust piles up on them they could cause a short.

I would recommend a new board. You could risk a short that could start a fire. I have seen boards start burning and some will keep going.

CrashMan054

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014

Should I try snipping the pins and covering them in electrical tape until I can get a new board?

CrashMan054

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014

I called them, they said they'd fix it for a fee. In the meantime, should I do anything to make it slightly safer, or just leave it and get a new one ASAP?

CrashMan054

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014

Sadly, not free. I said fee, they're charging $45, but that's better than a new system. I'll send it in within a week or so.