PCI-E slot isn't working anymore. :(

slickracer

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
My girlfriend got a gaming PC a month ago and we've been gaming together. Great fun.

The trouble started when we were playing WoW together. While playing, her screen flashed to another window she had open behind the game (her Chrome browser) and then back to the game, as though she had alt-tabbed. A minute later, her screen flickered again, but this time the computer shut off completely - fans and all.

When she tried to turn on the computer again, nothing came up on the screen. The fans inside started running, and a repeating long beep kept coming out of the computer. (Beeeeeep. Beeeeep. Beeeeeep. Beeeeeep. Beeeeeep. Beeeep. Beeeep. Beeeep. ) About seven or eight times. After that, the beeps ended and the computer stayed on, but there was absolutely nothing on the monitor at any point.

I had her take out her Radeon HD4650 video card and connect her monitor directly to the PC, and it worked. She has been able to use the computer normally, but her onboard video is terribly lacking for gaming. Every time she's put in a video card since then, including a GeForce GT 640 we got to replace the 4650 (which we thought was the problem), the computer goes through the whole beeping fit again and nothing shows on the screen.

The only other thing of note is that, when my girlfriend starts up the computer (without the video card), an error pops up reading "511-CPU Fan Not Detected", and she has to press F1 to continue booting. All fans inside the computer seem to be working normally, despite the error.

I tried seeing if disabling the onboard video would get us anywhere, but there doesn't seem to be an option in the BIOS to do so, and I would hate to disable the onboard video from inside Windows in case doing so really messes things up.

I understand there's a chance the PCI-E slot itself could be damaged, but is there anything else we can try to get my girl gaming again?

Thanks! :)

TropicoSuarez

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
I would just buy a new motherboard, because it seems that the PCI slot is completely broken. However, bofore you spend any money, check if the CPU fan is connected. If the CPU fan isn't detected, the heatsink on the fan probably isn't having a fan blowing on it, which could be causing the CPU to overheat and malfunction, making your her computer shut down.

Make sure that you go inside the computer and make sure that there is a fan plugged into CPU fan header on the motherboard (should be near the CPU socket).

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you need.

SlaKer440

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
It sounds to me that your PSU could be acting up, what is the wattage of your PSU? It may be lacking the juice needed to run the GPU. If the computer completely turned off this is most likely the case. However, try putting the GPU into another PC that you may have to see if the problem lies in the card or the mobo.

slickracer

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Thanks to everyone for the info! We know it's not the two video cards because the old one works with her old PC and the new one is, well, brand new. The CPU fan is working perfectly, except for the boot error, and the temperature is perfectly normal - so nothing is overheating.

I'm thinking the problem might be with the new computer. It's still under warranty, so the only option might be to send it back.

As for our 'budget and goals', we don't really have a budget anymore. The budget went to buying the computer a month ago to begin with!

Any other ideas? Thanks!

slickracer

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Hi! Just thought I'd update the thread here in case anyone ever has the same problem.

I don't really know why this worked - maybe someone can explain - but the solution ended up being to head into the BIOS and disable 'Secure Boot' and enable 'Legacy Support'. My girlfriend is now running with her new GeForce GT640 with no problems so far. :)