[SOLVED] PCI-E Slot Problem/Accident On MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Mobo

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
So a couple of years ago, I was upgrading my mobo, CPU and RAM to what I have now from the MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard. The GPU retention mechanism was very stiff and to make a long story short, I damaged the PCI-E slot on the mobo. I'm wondering if it's safe to use still if you used the 2nd PCI-E slot. I know the 2nd slot is an 8x and not a 16x, so you'll lose a few frames, but I'm selling my old stuff, but I'm unsure of selling the mobo. I'm selling to a friend who is aware of the issue. Does anyone think it's safe to even plug this in and try to use it? Personally, I don't think it's a good idea.

Here are some pics of the mobo and you'll see it's pulled up from the mobo itself. There are a couple of contacts/pins pulled away from the plastic shroud it's in. It could likely be repaired if you had the tools, maybe a soldering iron, but I can't fix this type of problem. Judging by the pictures, is it safe to use, or should I not risk it? If you avoid using the slot itself, is it safe or not? It's too bad, it was a great and beautiful motherboard! I was going to sell an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming 8G, 32 GB of G.Skill DDR3 RAM, i7 4790k CPU, and the mobo (if it's safe), all for $200. Am I being fair as well with the price? I think so, regarding what I'm selling. Everything else works beautifully. If I don't include the board, I'll sell it for $150 and still throw the board in, but won't recommend using it. It could be fine and then again, it could fry every component on it. l like to be overly cautious. Thanks in advance!
Link to pics of the mobo

Solution
So long as the secondary slot isn't compromised like the primary slot(apart from having less lanes) then you should be good to part ways with it but I think the ethical thing to do is give your friend a slice off the cost of the system as a sign of good faith. That being said, don't use the primary slot for any device.

The only way it'll be repaired is if it was sent into MSI or a certified technician.

Lutfij

Titan
So long as the secondary slot isn't compromised like the primary slot(apart from having less lanes) then you should be good to part ways with it but I think the ethical thing to do is give your friend a slice off the cost of the system as a sign of good faith. That being said, don't use the primary slot for any device.

The only way it'll be repaired is if it was sent into MSI or a certified technician.

Solution

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007

Thanks for replying. Yeah, I was thinking of $150. I think that's fair since I just saw used 1070's just like mine well over $200. He's gonna have to find or buy a PSU though. Even though it's probably fine, I don't have the money to replace it, if it killed it, but thanks for the opinion. I'll try it.

TRENDING THREADS