PCI e slot provides power but does not recognize graphics cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

person3701

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
So recently I was switching out the fan in my PC, and had to take out my graphics card for a bit. When i plugged it back in, and booted up my computer, nothing showed up, but the gpu fan was spinning, so I connected the DVI cable to the motherboard and have been using onboard graphics ever since.
I realized that the two possible issues were:
1. The graphics card was dead
2: The PCI e slot is dead
The way that I tested which one it was was by plugging in an old graphics card(that 100 percent works) to the pci e slot and seeing if it worked. This graphics card is old and powers its tiny fan with the pci e slot. This graphics card did not work either, but the thing that confuses me is that the gpu fan that is powered by the pci e slot turned on.
What does this mean?
What can I do?
Thank you

Solution
Ok, then in that case there is every possibility that you either did not install the cpu back in the right way and bent something or that the CPU did not get fully seated.

In any case, I would remove the CPU cooler, remove the CPU, then with a magnifying glass or high powered reading glasses take a look at both the CPU and motherboard to make sure that no pins are bent and no contacts are scratched or damaged badly. It is usually too hard to see without magnification unless you have fantastic eyesight.

If all is well, reinstall the CPU making sure to align the pins correctly. The CPU only installs one way and one way only so pay attention to the arrangement of the pins versus the contacts to ensure they are the same orientation.

As...

person3701

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016

Ty I will try that
Specs:
CPU: i7 7400k
GPU: gtx 960
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo
RAM: 8gb
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B250M

flatearther

Reputable
Dec 4, 2017
I just had the same problem. The fan worked and the GPU worked in the 8x slot but not the 16x slot. I pulled my CPU to clean up some overflow TIM and bent pin when I seated the CPU.

person3701

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016

so you mean bending the cpu pin stopped your 16x slot from working?

person3701

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016

I don't understand what you mean by saying check the pins (cpu pins?)

flatearther

Reputable
Dec 4, 2017

Yep! I had one pin that was out of line with the rest of the row. Bent it back in line and x16 started working again.

What "fan" did you have to replace? The CPU cooler? Did you have the CPU out of the socket at all?

**Don't EVER use a vacuum in your PC, unlike somebody here recommended (Use dustbuster). Vacuums create static electricity and static electricity will absolutely destroy computer hardware. Bad idea. Use canned compressed air or an air compressor with an air nozzle. Never use a vaccum anywhere near electronics. Or at least, not inside them.

And yes, a bent CPU pin can absolutely cause any number of issues, not least of which is a lack of display capability.

Putting another graphics card in proves nothing, other than what you already knew. It CAN mean there is a problem with the motherboard PCIe slot, but it can be any number of things too. Slot power is not controlled by the CPU. Display function over the PCI bus is. So a bent pin can cause anything from red dots on the screen to no display at all. Lots of other things too.

When you reconnected your monitor, are you certain that you plugged it back into the graphics card and not the video out from the motherboard?

person3701

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016

Yes, I plugged the DVI cable into the graphics card, and my monitor said "Cable not connected", so then plugged it into the motherboard and it was working like that, but the graphics card was not recognized.

person3701

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016

ty i will check this

Of course not. If you plug into the motherboard then you are running off the integrated CPU graphics.

You still did not answer the question. Kind of hard to help people who refuse to provide the information that is needed in order to resolve the issues.

DID you, or did you not, remove the CPU (Processor) from the motherboard socket, for any reason?

Did you remove the CPU cooler?

If the answer to those questions is no, then what "fan" did you replace?

person3701

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016

oh sorry about that, yes I believe I did take the cpu out of the socket, but did not end up putting a new fan, only applied new thermal paste. And I did remove the cpu cooler, but put it right back on because the new one did not fit.

Ok, then in that case there is every possibility that you either did not install the cpu back in the right way and bent something or that the CPU did not get fully seated.

In any case, I would remove the CPU cooler, remove the CPU, then with a magnifying glass or high powered reading glasses take a look at both the CPU and motherboard to make sure that no pins are bent and no contacts are scratched or damaged badly. It is usually too hard to see without magnification unless you have fantastic eyesight.

If all is well, reinstall the CPU making sure to align the pins correctly. The CPU only installs one way and one way only so pay attention to the arrangement of the pins versus the contacts to ensure they are the same orientation.

As far at the graphics card goes, you can clean the gold "teeth" on the GPU card using isopropyl alcohol. Be sure to fully seat the card firmly in it's slot, install the rear fastener holding the card to the back of the case I/O panel and engage the PCI lock at the front base of the card to engage the notch in the card.

If ALL of that is correct, and you still have a problem but did NOT have a problem before, then I'd suspect you might have a problem with your power supply. Look on the back or side of your power supply and locate the specifications label. Post the power supply model number so we have some idea of whether or not it's a quality unit or simply a PSU shaped object.

Solution
Jul 3, 2020

As far at the graphics card goes, you can clean the gold "teeth" on the GPU card using isopropyl alcohol. Be sure to fully seat the card firmly in it's slot, install the rear fastener holding the card to the back of the case I/O panel and engage the PCI lock at the front base of the card to engage the notch in the card.

If ALL of that is correct, and you still have a problem but did NOT have a problem before, then I'd suspect you might have a problem with your power supply. Look on the back or side of your power supply and locate the specifications label. Post the power supply model number so we have some idea of whether or not it's a quality unit or simply a PSU shaped object.

I was having problems with my motherboard not detecting any gpu i insert into my pcie slot and then i came upon this post. I was doubting at first your recommendation regarding reseating and checking my cpu if my pcie slot wasnt able to detect any

Had my doubts at first about your advice reseating and checking my cpu placement if the pcie slot wasnt able to detect any videocard. Well, i tried it and it worked! Thanks alot man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS