[SOLVED] PCI-E slots burned, which component(s) do I need to replace?

Dec 10, 2018
Hi everyone,
I was using my computer, with Overwatch and Discord being the only apps used. Suddenly the PC dies down and there's a pretty intense smell of burned plastic. I remove the graphics card and the PCI slot has a spot that's burned. With the graphics card inserted, the PC won't start, whereas without it it does. With my network card (which goes into PCI slot) it starts also. When I have the graphics card inserted (into the PCI) BUT the power supply cables disconnected the computer boots. I tried putting the graphics card into my other PCI slot, upon which the computer starts to boot but then dies with that slot being burnt also. Which components do I need to replace? I am a bit frightened that a new graphics card would just break if I bought one. I would furthermore be very appreciative of suggestions concerning specifically which components I could buy. I mostly play GTA V, CS:GO and Overwatch and the graphics don't have to be maxed out.

My specs:
- Intel i5 4670k
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper B5 motherboard
- EVGA GTX 970 4Gb (which has allegedly had issues with misplaced heatsink and thus its cooling)
- Corsair CX 600M 600W PSU (bronze)
- CM Storm Scout 2 case
- 8GB DDR3 Kingston memory
- ASUS PCE N53 11n N600 PCI-E Adapter (network card)

Thank you tremendously in advance!

Solution
You didn't mention where it is burned. Your motherboard supplied power for the slot for the +12v is in the first 3 pins. If burned in that area possibly a motherboard regulation issue. As you indicate the slot itself is burned, and that your x1 card works, a problem here seems unlikely.

Much more likely a power supply issue to be able to supply the voltages to burn the components.

Another consideration would be : Is this a burn or a blown capacitor with leakage?

At this point, with the potential motherboard and video card damage, the PSU, video card, and motherboard are candidates for replacement.
You didn't mention where it is burned. Your motherboard supplied power for the slot for the +12v is in the first 3 pins. If burned in that area possibly a motherboard regulation issue. As you indicate the slot itself is burned, and that your x1 card works, a problem here seems unlikely.

Much more likely a power supply issue to be able to supply the voltages to burn the components.

Another consideration would be : Is this a burn or a blown capacitor with leakage?

At this point, with the potential motherboard and video card damage, the PSU, video card, and motherboard are candidates for replacement.

Solution
Dec 10, 2018

Thank you for your reply!
I will buy a new PSU, motherboard, and video card as I think it's too risky to replace either separately. I'm a bit unsure which ones to purchase though, as my processor uses the outdated LGA1150 socket. I would prefer not to replace that one, so the motherboards available to me are essentially the ASUS H81-PLUS or the Asrock H81 Pro BTC (I live in Sweden so buying a Z97 one for example from eBay or amazon would mean shipping costs. Worth it?).
As for the Power Supply, I'm thinking the Cooler Master MWE 550W 80 Plus Bronze. Is this a decent PSU and will 550 watts be sufficient? Will be getting another 970 for the video card.
I am again very grateful for any input.

Dec 10, 2018

There was a burned area of about a centimeter at somewhere around a third way in of the PCI connector's length. That's to say, to the right of the little jack that separates the connector into two sections.

Power supply opinions vary greatly, but I know you may be limited by what is available in your country. I would solicit Tom's members opinions on that one, as my preferred power supply would be a good Seasonic unit. This is both considering reliability, system stability, and having components destroyed in the past from cheap power supplies. I know Seasonic is not an inexpensive choice though. My experience with CoolerMaster in friend's systems would lead me to vote NO on that one.

Before replacing components, just look in that approximate matching area on your video card for blown / leaking capacitors. A leaking capacitor might discolor things in odd ways. Look for bulges/similar discolorations. I just want to reiterate this point since I cannot see the actual area without pictures.

Dec 10, 2018

Yes, now that you mention it there is a small (about a square centimetre) of bulge, discolouring, what appears to be burn damage, and smell of burnt plastic on the graphics card in the connecting area where the corresponding (burnt) portion of the PCI connector is located. What can be the cause of this, if it's indeed a blown capacitor? Would it mean the motherboard and PSU wouldn't have to be replaced?

Additionally, one other test to try: is the disolored area removable by using swabs and isopropyl alcohol? If you can clean it off, also suggest possibly a leaking capacitor. You would have to remove the heat sink/fan assembly from, your graphics card to get a really good look. Closeup clear photos would probably help.

Dec 10, 2018

I managed to remove most of it by just using an air compression unit. Probably talking blown cap, then. Does this mean the graphics card can be repaired? If I can send you photos somehow you could see the extensive damage. Regardless, the computer doesn't behave like it's supposed to (doesn't boot correctly, it tries once before shutting off and then it boots) even without the video card so I am still going to replace all three parts.