pci-e slots overheating/breaking

wowdino

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
So ive had this problem for around 6-8 months now, and its too late to RMA any of my components.
Earlier the crashes were rare, and only when playing really demanding games, previously the GPU I used Before had experienced a similar issue, not sure what the problem was but it displayed blue pixels when the PC was booted (in the bios aswell). I Think the cause of this was an overheating problem, so I got it RMA'd and decided to pick up a gtx 780 as I got my money back since the 770's were replaced by 970's at the time, and my local store did not have any 770's left in stock.
The problems were gone, and I thought my problems with the PC crashing were gone aswell, but after about 2 months with the new card, the same thing happened, but now the screen just started flickering a lot when playing demanding games, and occasionally crashed (1 time in 4 hours of gaming aprox.) Over time the graphic card kept flickering, now even more rapidly and crashes were more common, maybe 1 time in 2 hours. I decided to RMA it to my shop, but this time after 4 hours of testing the card they could see no flaw in it. I ended up changing the PCI slot of it on my motherboard, which solver that problem, only to come back about 2-3 weeks later on the other PCI slot.

Before I changed PCI slot, I used to BSOD a lot, and it was mainly due to driver issues it seemed, I updated all drivers, but not the BIOS since I do not know how its done, and I am scared the PC will crash in the middle of the update in that case.

What the crashes looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc8sL8XqJ_E (not my video)

At the time of building the PC, i was expecting to keep building but I ended up not doing that, but my components are the following;

Motherboard: Asus ROG rampage IV black edition
PSU: Corsair RM1000 80+Gold
CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K
GPU: EVGA gtx 780 (ACX cooler)

This problem has been going on for a long time now, what I have done to try to solve it is:
-Try with another graphics card, worked, but when I tested mine on a friends rig, it worked flawlessly, not sure whats going on.
-Try with different ram sticks, problem persisted.

I have not tested my CPU, Motherboard or PSU, as I do not know how it is done, and do not have any friend living nearby willing to lend me their components, nor do I have any extra components laying around.

If any additional information is needed, please tell me:)