PCI-E Storage (Using M.2 Nvme SSD to PCI-E) on Sandy Bridge-E CPUS

The11rednazo

Commendable
May 3, 2016
So, I have been looking around, and nothing has not answered my question. I wanted to use an NVME SSD over PCI, like the Asus raid card but with the I7 3930k and hopefully with the i7 4960x. I would be using a third party adapter to do so, but I wanted to know if it was possible on this platform on the ASrock Extreme6 Motherboard. I know I wont get the best speed but being able to have a fast bootable ssd on this platform would be nice, including I would be using it as a game, rendering and emulation machine (windows server and linux) that and might install linux on it in the future. I wanted to see if someone actually tested and might show some performance numbers and tests and hopefully either a video or something to show what works or if there is a work around or something at least to clarify that using a NVME SSD to this platform works either through an adapter and is there any problems and work around at least.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
PCIe 3.0 wasn't released until Ivy-Bridge, that Sandy is still running PCIe 2.0. That's going to limit the usefulness of the NVMe considerably. It's only on very large files you'll see and sort of benefit, games etc will use a ton of small files so further killing any benefit from the NVMe.

Honestly I'd go for Plan B and use a standard Sata III 6Gb drive like a Samsung 850/960 EVO and call it a day. You'd be looking at a bunch of hassle to try and even get NVMe to work on a Sandy as NVMe has no native support for boot at all.

The11rednazo

Commendable
May 3, 2016

However, this is Sandy-Bridge E, which includes support for PCIE 3.0, the cpu is the limiting factor for the time being, the motherboard also supports PCIE Gen 3.0 Sense its the 2011 socket. ASRock EXtreme6 x79 motherboard. I do want more of answer if A: Is it really possible at this point. B: What are the Pros and Cons of said use on this motherboard. C: What would be a guess estimate on speeds that I can see with it including on using it with something like adobe premiere and other programs that will loaded up on the system at the time being.