[SOLVED] PCI-E version limitations?

BudgetBRO321

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
Hey bois, im building a super budget PC and the board im working with is a LENOVO IS6XM from a prebuilt system, i know it supports videocards like the 1050 which is what im aiming at, but i realized its got a version 1 PCIE connection, while the newer cards are 3.0 or something, i know its still compatible but will i be losing performance? Wouldnt an older card perform just the same when it hits the limitation? I have no idea, thanks in advance!

Solution
I think the problem is a slightly different one. The 1050's low enough in performance that I don't think that you'll run into bandwidth issues with PCIE 1.0x16.

The larger problem, I think, may be getting the GPU to work at all. If this motherboard is a prebuilt with a1.0 PCIE socket, there's a very high chance that it doesn't have UEFI and has the older style BIOS. Get it from somewhere that accepts returns, because if this is the case, there's a good chance that the GTX 750 Ti will be as far as you can realistically go on this PC.

DSzymborski

Titan
I think the problem is a slightly different one. The 1050's low enough in performance that I don't think that you'll run into bandwidth issues with PCIE 1.0x16.

The larger problem, I think, may be getting the GPU to work at all. If this motherboard is a prebuilt with a1.0 PCIE socket, there's a very high chance that it doesn't have UEFI and has the older style BIOS. Get it from somewhere that accepts returns, because if this is the case, there's a good chance that the GTX 750 Ti will be as far as you can realistically go on this PC.

Reactions: BudgetBRO321
Solution

BudgetBRO321

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020

I did a lot of research and seems like it does support them after a bios update! Thanks a lot mate

BudgetBRO321

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
That's effectively a 8X PCIE2.0 or 4x PCIE3.0 slot's worth of bandwidth.

You'll take a small hit, but it's better than settling for a lesser card.

That being the case the card should still work and supports legacy BIOS systems.
I see, i dont plan on playing on high settings, so i should be fine thanks a lot!