Question Pci-e wifi adapter stuck at 54mbit while usb wifi adapter gets 130mbit with lower signal rate

try1994

Honorable
May 30, 2014
Hello everybody,
I'm having this issue with my pcie wifi adapter. I was using the usb one but then i switched to the pcie one. Here are the adapters;

Pci-e: https://www.amazon.de/PCE-AC51-PCIe-Karte-Wi-Fi-externe-Antennen/dp/B01EYTGI7G/ref=sr_1_7?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=pcie+wifi&qid=1563212929&s=gateway&sr=8-7
Usb: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0787FXZ61/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So the problem is as I have written at the title, I get much less speed with the asus pcie adapter compared to my usb adapter. The internet is 100mbits and I can fully utilize it when the load is low with my usb adapter but with pci-e adapter struggles to get half of the speed. Both adapters use 802.11n 5 ghz band as it can be seen in the picture. Both drivers are coming from windows. What can i do ?

(image link: https://i.ibb.co/0Fc1dW5/54mbit.png)

54mbit.png

Edit: Image was broken, re-added.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Where is the router in relation to the USB adapter and the antennas for the PCIe? The fact that the case is blocking the antennas for the PCIe adapter could easily explain the differences.

Having multiple simultaneous ACTIVE connections to the same network is not advised. Windows gets confused.

try1994

Honorable
May 30, 2014
Where is the router in relation to the USB adapter and the antennas for the PCIe? The fact that the case is blocking the antennas for the PCIe adapter could easily explain the differences.

Having multiple simultaneous ACTIVE connections to the same network is not advised. Windows gets confused.
Hey,
The router is at the room right above me. The antennas for both adapters are blocked as low as possible and as you can see, pcie adapter gets much higher signal than the usb adapter.
I have plugged both adapters simultaneously just to show the differences with netsh. I don't think the problem is with the difference to the router as you can see the signal rates and the fact that I can get the speeds closer to my internet connection limits with the usb adapter even though it gets less signal, and only half with the pcie adapter while it gets much more signal.

try1994

Honorable
May 30, 2014
One thing you could try, would be to put the antennas of the PCE-AC51 horizontal rather than vertical. A standard router WIFI source above, won't provide good coverage below. The router antennas are oriented for horizontal coverage.
I have tried different antenna positions but unfortunately no improvement. I don't think the problem is about the router position as it should effect both adapters but only effecting the Asus one. I was hoping for some driver or windows issue but i couldn't find any answer. Maybe the adapter is faulty or only eligible for 54mbit speed but it is definitely advertised otherwise.

try1994

Honorable
May 30, 2014
Do you have unique SSID for 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz? That way you can be sure which band you are connected to.
Yes the 2.4Ghz band has a different name. When I created the post I prepared a "netsh" screen shot to show the differences but now I realize it is broken. I'm going to edit the original post with the picture which should give all the information needed. Sorry about that