PCI-E Wireless card or Powerline?

xanark

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
So i am looking for a recommendation on whether I should purchase a Poweline or internal wireless card for my new pc. In the next few weeks I will be getting my new desktop pc and my wife will be taking over my current desktop. I have always used a USB wireless adapter to connect to my internet and it can easily connect to the 2G signal from my router but has difficulties staying connected to the 5G. Seeing as how there will not be enough bandwidth for us both to game on two pc's on the 2G I am looking for a solution to how I can connect and get the best speeds for my new pc. While researching internal cards I found some people suggesting that you should just use a powerline instead. So my question is this: Which is better for wireless speeds for high end gaming. An internal card or A powerline system. I am not looking to break the bank here, I plan on spending around $70-80 but will spend more if necessary and I do not want a separate antenna base for the internal card (it looks horrendous) I am perfectly fine with some antennae poking out of the back of my case.

Some follow up information on my setup: My pc sits about 30ft away from my router and the signal goes through 1 1/2 walls. A new electrical service was placed in my apartment within 5 years ago and my office and living room (where the router is located) are not on the same circuit. and just to be clear i really have no idea what any of the above information means i have just seen it in regards to a powerline system and figured i would do the same as i have little knowledge about powerlines. My current internet package is 200mbs with a router provided by my ISP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i really am lost as to what i should do. Thank you!

Solution
Powerline actually is a form of radio transmission it just uses the electrical power rather than the air. It can have interference just like wifi but the things that might interfere are all in your house unlike wifi where the majority of interference comes from neighbors wifi equipment.

The newest AV2 based powerline units tend to work very well in most houses. If you get perfect signal from the wifi it will be faster...assuming 5g 802.11ac.. than powerline. You should have no issues getting over 100mbps on powerline on the av2 based units.

Games do not care about the speed they care about the quality. WiFi causes random delays in the packets because it attempt to recover corrupted data. Games use the delay between...
Powerline actually is a form of radio transmission it just uses the electrical power rather than the air. It can have interference just like wifi but the things that might interfere are all in your house unlike wifi where the majority of interference comes from neighbors wifi equipment.

The newest AV2 based powerline units tend to work very well in most houses. If you get perfect signal from the wifi it will be faster...assuming 5g 802.11ac.. than powerline. You should have no issues getting over 100mbps on powerline on the av2 based units.

Games do not care about the speed they care about the quality. WiFi causes random delays in the packets because it attempt to recover corrupted data. Games use the delay between packets to sync your location in game so they work poorly when you get large variations in the delay.

Solution