pci-e x1 card into pci-e x16 slot?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mursh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Not sure if anyone ever answered your question and i just stumbled upon it so i figured i would answer it for you.

If your motherboard does not have some kind of PCI-e slot then there is no way you can use a pci-e card in it.

There are no such thing as an adapters to change pci or agp slots into PCI-e.

A PCI-e x8 card will not work in a PCI slot at all. If it even fits in there it is far to slow to run the card properly and most likely will short out the card and or motherboard if you try it.

I don't know what type of card you are trying to use but if you are wanting to upgrade your graphics then you will have to buy a new motherboard or stick with an AGP card. There are still a few AGP cards on the market that will preform decent in most modern games as long as you lower all the settings.

The best AGP video cards available are the 4670 > 3850 > 4650 > 7600gs

I wouldn't waste my money on anything other than the 4670 or 3850 cause they are barely fast enough and anything slower isn't a very good investment.

4670 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131329
3850 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102730

It may be best just to save your money for a full computer upgrade.

Cheers!

mursh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

Not sure if anyone ever answered your question and i just stumbled upon it so i figured i would answer it for you. Check my last response in this thread.

harondaddy

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Can a pci-express x1 card fit into a pci-express x16 slot? >>>> YES, but it depends on the bios of the motherboard..........

You can "up-plug" PCI-Express cards. That means that you can plug a PCI-Express x1 expansion card into a PCI-Express x1, x4, x8, or x16 expansion slot and it will work (as long as the motherboard BIOS doesn't have bugs). The x1 expansion card can only run at x1 speed in any of those slots but it will work. Likewise, you can plug x4 expansion cards into x4, x8, and x16 slots and you can plug x8 expansion cards (if you can find one) into x8 and x16 slots. But you can't "down-plug" PCI-Express cards because an expansion card with a higher number of lanes (the "x" value) physically won't fit into an expansion slot with a lower number of lanes. For example, a x16 expansion card won't fit into a x8, x4, or x1 slot.

When it comes to video cards, some motherboards can be extremely picky about up-plugging. You should always be able to plug a x1, x4, or x8 video card into a x16 PCI-Express slot and have it work. It may only run at x1 speeds but it should work nonetheless. Unfortunately, many motherboards have problems with video card up-plugging. As time passes, the motherboard BIOSes should have better support for up-plugging video cards but for now it may not work. Plugging a x16 video card into a x16 slot always works and plugging a x1 video card into a x1 slot almost always works but the other combinations may not work properly. If you have problems up-plugging a video card then you should go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and update the motherboard BIOS. That's where they will fix problems with expansion card up-plugging.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
you cannot and should not in any way shape or form fit a pcie card into agp or pci, the pervobal joke in the tech industry is the one where someone cut the card or the slot to fit a non-fitting card, thus killing the card / computer

please don't make another one of those lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS