• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question PCI-E x16 No Signal but PCI-E x4 No issues

Jul 5, 2020
Okay so a few months ago I spilt coffee inside of my PC and had to replace the CPU and Motherboard and although my GPU was also affected it was only that the HDMI port fried. I have been using DVI and had no issues for a few months but all of a sudden my GPU has stopped working in the PCI-E x16 (1) slot and when it does work often my PC freezes and when I restart my PC the GPU stops working.

The problem is that it is not being detected so when I turn my PC on there is no display. However when I use the PCI-E x16 (2) slot I have no issues and it all works smoothly with the exception of my FPS being substantially lower the first slot when it works. I have spoken to multiple people and do not know what the problem could be.

The only theory I have came up with is the DVI port being the unaligned correctly with the slot in my case but this doesnt really make much sense, I do not have a DP cable so I cannot try that, I am just hoping to get a temporary fix if a permanent one is not possible. I am going to get my friends old 1050 soon as I cant afford to buy another GPU since I spent my budget on replacing the other components when i spilt coffee in them.

I just wondered if anyone can come up with a reason this is happening as I cannot get a consistent FPS on League Of Legends. Sometimes I get 200 FPS using PCI-E x16 (2) and sometimes it bottlenecks at 30fps.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS