Question PCI-Ethernet cards

Dec 17, 2020
I've asked about Realtek and Intel 2.5G LAN issues here, and it seems like some have them and some not.
I would like to ask that if I purchase either a B550 MSI Carbon Gaming or Asus F/E-Gaming and the there would be network issues etc, is it possible to disable the ethernet/LAN from MOBO and use a 1G ethernet port via the PCIe 3.0 x1 ?
Would this option be as good in performance as the MOBO LAN, or is there some performance issues with PCI-E ethernet adapters ?

So any potential ethernet problems could be avoided with the option to install a decent ethernet pci adapter ?

Dec 17, 2020
I have a gigabit LAN card in a PCIe slot.
Zero difference from the built in ethernet port.

Inexpensive $13 device.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F34ONC
So basically if I have problems with the MOBO 2.5G LAN, I can always unable it from BIOS and plug a PCI-E ethernet adapter and it would work as same or better as MOBO internal LAN ?

Im actually pretty afraid at the moment to buy the motherboards listed since there are so many topics about 2.5G LAN problems.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
So basically if I have problems with the MOBO 2.5G LAN, I can always unable it from BIOS and plug a PCI-E ethernet adapter and it would work as same or better as MOBO internal LAN ?

Im actually pretty afraid at the moment to buy the motherboards listed since there are so many topics about 2.5G LAN problems.
Disabling the 2.5 is out of my experience, but I DO know the PCIe adapter in mine works just fine.

It is in there because the built in LAN port died from a nearby lightning strike.

Reactions: BunnyKraken
Dec 17, 2020
Disabling the 2.5 is out of my experience, but I DO know the PCIe adapter in mine works just fine.

It is in there because the built in LAN port died from a nearby lightning strike.
Good to know that there is an option to get a working ethernet if the Intel/Realtek chipset is bad in those motherboards. I just don't get why so many people struggle months to get the ethernet to work on their motherboards if the fix could be made with 10-30$, of course one would hope the manufactures to take responsibility.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS