[SOLVED] PCI-Ethernet cards

BunnyKraken

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
I've asked about Realtek and Intel 2.5G LAN issues here, and it seems like some have them and some not.
I would like to ask that if I purchase either a B550 MSI Carbon Gaming or Asus F/E-Gaming and the there would be network issues etc, is it possible to disable the ethernet/LAN from MOBO and use a 1G ethernet port via the PCIe 3.0 x1 ?
Would this option be as good in performance as the MOBO LAN, or is there some performance issues with PCI-E ethernet adapters ?

So any potential ethernet problems could be avoided with the option to install a decent ethernet pci adapter ?

Solution
So basically if I have problems with the MOBO 2.5G LAN, I can always unable it from BIOS and plug a PCI-E ethernet adapter and it would work as same or better as MOBO internal LAN ?

Im actually pretty afraid at the moment to buy the motherboards listed since there are so many topics about 2.5G LAN problems.
Disabling the 2.5 is out of my experience, but I DO know the PCIe adapter in mine works just fine.

It is in there because the built in LAN port died from a nearby lightning strike.

BunnyKraken

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
I have a gigabit LAN card in a PCIe slot.
Zero difference from the built in ethernet port.

Inexpensive $13 device.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F34ONC

So basically if I have problems with the MOBO 2.5G LAN, I can always unable it from BIOS and plug a PCI-E ethernet adapter and it would work as same or better as MOBO internal LAN ?

Im actually pretty afraid at the moment to buy the motherboards listed since there are so many topics about 2.5G LAN problems.

USAFRet

Titan

Disabling the 2.5 is out of my experience, but I DO know the PCIe adapter in mine works just fine.

It is in there because the built in LAN port died from a nearby lightning strike.

Reactions: BunnyKraken
Solution

BunnyKraken

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020

Good to know that there is an option to get a working ethernet if the Intel/Realtek chipset is bad in those motherboards. I just don't get why so many people struggle months to get the ethernet to work on their motherboards if the fix could be made with 10-30$, of course one would hope the manufactures to take responsibility.