PCI Express 2.0

soterius

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
Hi there,

I've chosen all the parts for my new setup and picked the P5K-E/WiFi-AP as my motherboard. I believe this doesn't have PCI Express 2.0 (I searched the manual for this info but am not sure I get it right...) So can anyone tell me how important PCI-E 2.0 is? From what I've read, I think I'm fine for now (I plan to buy 8800gt) but how big is the chance that graphics cards in the near future will have significantly better performance when used with PCI-E 2.0? Suppose I buy the best GPU available one year from now (the best available at THAT time), will it make a difference then to have PCI-E 2.0?

If that's the case...which Asus board comes closest to the P5K-E/WiFi-AP and does have PCI-E 2.0?

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
All X38 mobo's are PCI-E 2.0 compliant. I would say the Asus P5E is the best asus but the Foxconn X38A has DDR2 and 3 support for that extra future proofing. But as for getting one to increase the performance of a current gfx card i would say don't bother. However, as it's a new build i would and have bought a Asus P5E X38.