PCI Express 3.0 x16 graphics card in PCI-E x16 slot?

SwampLord

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
I wanted to upgrade my desktop that I got from Newegg with a graphics card, so I checked the detail page and saw that it had a PCI-E x16 slot. I googled it and saw that PCI Express 3.0 x16 graphics cards work with PCI-E 2.0 slots but I couldn't find anything that confirmed that 3.0 works with a normal PCI-E x16 slot (Non-2.0). Forgive me if someone already asked this I couldn't find it.

Solution
It's most likely at least a PCIe 2.0 compatible motherboard. PCIe slots are almost always designated with a version number (e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0) - you probably just got the short end of the stick on whatever site you found the description for the board.

Post whatever computer you bought and I'm sure someone can figure it out.

Better yet, download GPU-Z and it should tell you the version of the PCIe slot you have.
It's most likely at least a PCIe 2.0 compatible motherboard. PCIe slots are almost always designated with a version number (e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0) - you probably just got the short end of the stick on whatever site you found the description for the board.

Post whatever computer you bought and I'm sure someone can figure it out.

Better yet, download GPU-Z and it should tell you the version of the PCIe slot you have.

Solution

SwampLord

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for, I downloaded GPU-Z and it turns out I had a 2.0 slot. This could have been so much more simple if Newegg wasn't such a slacker :/