willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
That's a pretty broad question. There are several PCIe 3.0 cards, and literally dozens of 2.1 cards. Some of the 2.1 cards are faster than some 3.0 cards.

I suspect what you're really after is whether or not the speed boost from PCIe 3.0 is worth it. Well, I'm sorry to say, but there is literally no difference in performance between a 3.0 and a 2.1 link. 3.0 just provides more bandwidth to the card, but cards that need more than 2.1 can provide are literally years away.

A card supporting 3.0 doesn't make it any better than a card on 2.1. Both cards will run at their maximum performance, which depends on a great many things that aren't at all related to which PCI Express revision the card was designed for.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
A new "Best Video Cards for the Money" article just went up on Tom's Hardware. I'd check there and see what they have to say. They'll show you the best value at each price point, and why they say that card is the best value.

NIKxTHExKILLA

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
So if i was going to get an Ivy bridge for 3.0 support, just to stay ahead of the game and not have to upgrade for a while. What is a motherboard you would suggest to keep ahead of the games that would come out in the next few years.

Im new to forums, so if i should start my own thread for this question i will. it just seemed like a good place to put this. Thank you.

This is the one i was looking at: EVGA Z77 FTW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188120