pci express bluriness and jagged edges

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

foshizzle

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
All the 17" LCDs had .26 because they run native at 1280x1024 same as a 19" so their pixels must be smaller. Since almost all 19" LCDs run native at 1280x1024 wouldn't they all need the same number of pixels and therefore the same pixel size?

hmmm nope, coz if their native resolution is the same, that means they have the same number of pixels. To get the bigger screen, the pixels in the 19" have to be bigger.

Oh sorry I should have been more clear. I was asking if all 19" LCD monitors with a native resolution 1280x1024 should have the same number of pixels as any other 19" LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1280x1024. I didn't mean to imply that the dot pitch of the 19"s should be the same as the 17"s because just like you said to get the bigger screen the pixels have to be bigger.

mcsnipe

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I found the solution after days of trying! It is sort of crazy.

Detach TFT Monitor
Attach RTF monitor
Set RTF Monitor to 85 mhz
Remove RTF Monitor
Attache TFT Monitor: perfect crisp picture!

Without that the tft monitor would allow only 75 Mhz which gave the crappy picture untill now.

Before windows did let me only use up to 75 Mhz. Monitor: Max. synchr. freq. (V x H) 75 Hz x 80 kHz. Properties says now 75 mhz.
How can I capitalize on this finding to just manipulate windows?

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Now i've always thought that TFT's did not have refresh rates as such...

I thought they had timeings called Response time, and that it was anywhere from 25miliseconds (SLOW!) to about 4ms (fast)....

Also that the standard (and only) refresh rate setting was 60Htz, on my pc with a Formac Gallery (19") TFT i only have the option for 60Htz?? I cant understand how tricking the pc into a higher refresh rate makes any diffrence!??! :?

Someone please shed some light on this

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
It's the signal. Even though it makes no difference to the actual image on the screen, the signal is refreshed 75 times a second at 75Hz. It makes some difference on some cheaper LCDs because the electronics aren't capable of reading the signal interference-free at some response times. No idea why, but I had the same thing on an AG Neovo panel, where at 60Hz, blacks weren't black and it was a bit fuzzy but at 75Hz it was perfect. Fact is, none of these problems exist on DVI and I would recommend nothing less than DVI links for TFT displays.

mcsnipe

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Interesting, I, thought I have a quality monitor, could still improve with DVI?
There is an adapter with the videocard package and in the monitor is an dvi connection thought both seem not to be equal (one with 4 more pins)?
A shop owner told me that with an adapter used there is no improvement?

My question what happend what i did is not answered yet. Is it to freaky?

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I don't understand what you did that's why.

You can force the monitor to a higher resolution within Windows by enabling 'hide modes that this monitor cannot display' on the properties -> settings -> monitor tab.

If your monitor does not natively support a DVI link (i.e. you need a convertor to convert to DVI then you will get no benefit). Pure DVI is good because there is no wasted signal conversion from digital (video card) to analog (sending the signal across the cable) and back to digital (by the TFT's electronics).

mcsnipe

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I hope I understand that.
I have:
Gainward GeForce 7600GT 256MB 1.2ns DDR3 ,PCI-Express, "BP7600GT-256-TV-DVI GS thus a DVI, VGA and S-video out and a iiYama Pro-lite E481S with DVI-D.
The monitor has an dvi connection but the videocard .... i dont get it. It has the vga connector and a red connector beside whom function i did not figure out yet. I did only get a very meager instruction set from Gainward (and for an AGP card written). Along came an adaptor which fits on the vga connector of the card. So I figure buying a dvi cable would do the job. But the adapter dvi looks a bit different tot the monitor dvi connection.
And because it comes out of the videocard with an adaptor it could not benefit someone said. Dont know how to eplain it more. Never seen dvi never used it.
The card connector might be the dvi connector but the dvi connection at the monitor looks a bit different. But for what is than the dvi looking adaptor on the vga cconnection. I am sorry, me totally confused.
Tx.

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
DVI-I will be the output from the graphics card and it carries both DVI-D and DVI-A signals (i.e. both analog and digital). A DVI-I cable is all he needs as it will be compatible with both sockets. I am yet to see a device which wouldn't accept a DVI-I cable. The monitor's DVI socket probably only takes a digital signal but a DVI-I cable will still fit and work presuming the graphics card outputs a digital signal which it will.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
vsynch is not an lcd thing, it is a monitor thing regardless of type. some engines in games show it more than others. Particularly if you have a system that far outpaces your monitor's refresh. The source engine, while amazing does reveal tearing much more IMO than something like the Doom3 engine. Of course Doom is much darker so that may be the only reason... It is just personal preference, if you dont like tearing then enable it and take the hit on framrates.

EDIT: I must not have refreshed the thread in a while, my post got here pretty late... my bad. The solution is getting narrowed down though which is good. I removed the superfluous stuff I had here, was just a repeat of earlier stuff now. ;)

mcsnipe

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
"to clarify this could you tell me which one of these pictures matches the connections.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DVI_Connector_Types.svg

Tx Alot. This really helped. As other commants made me understand what this is all about. No need for the adaptor since the card has a connection looking like DV-I and the monitor looks like DVI-D.

This are the connections i seem to be able to use:

from card to monitor:

1. vga - adaptor DVI-I ---> DVD-D
2. card DVI-I ---> DVI-D
3. Card DVI-I --> agp met DV-I Adaptor.

Now i need a cable which fits. Is there still an hazard buying the wrong one or should this be possible without problem?
From reading I understand that quality can be still better and there could be an improvement in MHz (which i doubt)?

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
dvi will give you better quality, and removes the impact of refresh rate. Better for sure but I am not entirely sure it will solve all your issues... but certainly bad cable/connection is a problem.

mcsnipe

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I have a perfect picture now , i bought an DVI cable and could see some improvement.
However there is one thing that is not solved.
I reproduced the problem by reinstalling windows xp sp1 again:
Thought the picture is still perfect it appeared again wit jagged edges.

I repeated what i have done earlier and it worked again:

Detach TFT Monitor
Attach RTF monitor
Set RTF Monitor to 85 mhz
Remove RTF Monitor
Attache TFT Monitor: perfect crisp picture without jagged edges (yellow map symbols por exemplo)

Without that the tft monitor would allow only 75 Mhz which gave the crappy picture untill now.

Question: Am I doomd to get a RTF monitor every time I reinstall windows?

TRENDING THREADS