Question pci express issue

sa7s

Prominent
May 30, 2022
ive a G card supposed to work on pci express 3.0 x8 .but its working on my pc as 2.0 x8 .ive amd a6 5400B the amd site told me that this cpu has pcie express gen 2 ,so is that issue coming from cpu so,ive to upgrade my cpu i don`t know please help me ,my case is hp compaq pro 6305 mt spec

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm not positive I'm understanding your problem as this is written very unclear, but the PCIE only being 2.0 would likely be because of the motherboard considering the age of this PC. This was a low-end PC from a decade ago.

What GPU is this? Chance are, it doesn't really matter whether it's running at PCIE 3.0x8 or 2.0x8. If it's only a PCIE 3 GPU, then it's probably old enough that the bandwidth difference doesn't actually have an effect.

sa7s

Prominent
May 30, 2022
I'm not positive I'm understanding your problem as this is written very unclear, but the PCIE only being 2.0 would likely be because of the motherboard considering the age of this PC. This was a low-end PC from a decade ago.

What GPU is this? Chance are, it doesn't really matter whether it's running at PCIE 3.0x8 or 2.0x8. If it's only a PCIE 3 GPU, then it's probably old enough that the bandwidth difference doesn't actually have an effect.
my Q is so clear
1- what does pcie depend on the cpu or gpu
2-Someone with knowledge told me that 2.0 means the video card is working at half-power, if 3.0 means it's working at full power.
3-my gpu is amd r5 430
4-What's the way to run it at the top of the pci express?
thanks for respond

DSzymborski

Titan
my Q is so clear

It's very choppily written, so it's hard to tell. It's a detail-oriented field, so you want to be detailed and clear whenever possible.

2-Someone with knowledge told me that 2.0 means the video card is working at half-power, if 3.0 means it's working at full power.
3-my gpu is amd r5 430
thanks for respond

1 - It's not that simple.
2 - That person clearly has very little knowledge and if this is the kind of advice they dispense, I would take anything they say about PCs with a huge grain of salt. Bandwidth is not that big an effect.
3 - That's a very basic GPU, it's far too slow to even saturate PCIE 2.0. It doesn't matter what PCIE version you use.
4 - I don't know what you're asking here.

sa7s

Prominent
May 30, 2022
It's very choppily written, so it's hard to tell. It's a detail-oriented field, so you want to be detailed and clear whenever possible.

1 - It's not that simple.
2 - That person clearly has very little knowledge and if this is the kind of advice they dispense, I would take anything they say about PCs with a huge grain of salt. Bandwidth is not that big an effect.
3 - That's a very basic GPU, it's far too slow to even saturate PCIE 2.0. It doesn't matter what PCIE version you use.
4 - I don't know what you're asking here.
if i got gtx 1050 pci express 3.0 x16 ,And the manufacturer tells me that the processor supports 2.0 pcie .does that mean that i can`t use the 3.0 of my gpu ?
Sorry about my English.

It depends on both.
This is more complicated. With PCIE 2.0 you get half of bandwidth compared to PCIE 3.0
That doesn't mean performance will be half also. It depends on particular graphics card in use.
With a weak graphics card there probably will be very minor difference.
3-my gpu is amd r5 430
That is very weak graphics card. PCIE 2.0 or PCIE 3.0 - it doesn't matter.
Get a new motherboard, cpu, ram and build a new pc. Your old one can't do it.
if i got gtx 1050 pci express 3.0 x16 ,And the manufacturer tells me that the processor supports 2.0 pcie .does that mean that i can`t use the 3.0 of my gpu ?
You can use the gpu. But it will work in PCIE 2.0 mode. Slightly reduced performance.

sa7s

Prominent
May 30, 2022
It depends on both.

This is more complicated. With PCIE 2.0 you get half of bandwidth compared to PCIE 3.0
That doesn't mean performance will be half also. It depends on particular graphics card in use.
With a weak graphics card there probably will be very minor difference.

That is very weak graphics card. PCIE 2.0 or PCIE 3.0 - it doesn't matter.

Get a new motherboard, cpu, ram and build a new pc. Your old one can't do it.

You can use the gpu. But it will work in PCIE 2.0 mode. Slightly reduced performance.
so i have to buy such another cpu supports 3.0 pci express To run the video card as high as possible? is i5 gen 4 good enoght for that ?
Thank you for the reply.

sa7s

Prominent
May 30, 2022
Yes. It has PCIE 3.0.

But why are you interested in such old hardware? i5 gen 4 is ~10 years old.
Why not something more recent?
:D because im not a hardcore gamer im just playing an online game needs low spec .it`s called crossfire if u know it,btw thank u for helping me fix this issue

DSzymborski

Titan
Sorry about my English.

It doesn't actually matter. A GTX 1050 isn't powerful enough to need more bandwidth than PCI Express 2.0.

43816.png

Or

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGME-yHlNVk

Stop listening to the idiot who is telling you that 2.0 is half-power and 3.0 is full power. They have no clue what they're talking about. It does not matter for a GTX 1050. This person is not knowledgeable at all; bandwidth does not equal power.

(3.0 x 4 is the same speed as 2.0 x 8)

PCIE 2.0 vs. 3.0 only matters at all if you have a far more powerful GPU than you do. And even then, it doesn't really matter that much in many cases.

sa7s

Prominent
May 30, 2022
It doesn't actually matter. A GTX 1050 isn't powerful enough to need more bandwidth than PCI Express 2.0.

43816.png

Or

43816.png

Or

Stop listening to the idiot who is telling you that 2.0 is half-power and 3.0 is full power. They have no clue what they're talking about. It does not matter for a GTX 1050. This person is not knowledgeable at all; bandwidth does not equal power.

PCIE 2.0 vs. 3.0 only matters at all if you have a far more powerful GPU than you do. And even then, it doesn't really matter that much in many cases.

oh really thanks This guy made me think that this difference is so important, it doesn't have to change, and your explanation really helped me because I couldn't find anyone to help me on YouTube.