Status
Not open for further replies.

thehall16

Reputable
May 30, 2020
I have recently bought a new GPU (MSI Geforce 1650 Super Aero ITX OC Edition). I also have a MasterWatt 550 power supply from MasterCooler. I bought an 8 pin male to 6 pin male 18 AWG PCI-E connector and sadly it is not compatible with my power supply as it needs a 16 AWG PCI-E connector.

Now to the point. I need a PCI-E connector that is 8 pin male to 6 pin male and 16 AWG but I cannot find them anywhere.

Does anyone have suggestions?

thehall16

Reputable
May 30, 2020
  1. I have the version with only one 6+2 pin
  2. I have an 18 AWG PCI-e connector where the Masterwatt550 requires a 16 AWG PCI-e connector
When I plug the 18 AWG connector into my power supply, I don't get any power for anything and I can't find a double sided 6+2 16 AWG male to male anywhere.

thehall16

Reputable
May 30, 2020
Neither my PSU nor my GPU came with the required PCI-e connector, so I needed to buy one.
I needed a 6 pin male to 8 pin male (16 AWG), as required by my power supply (Masterwatt550). I had recently bought an 18 AWG connector but it is not compatible with my PSU.

Yes, where else would it go?

Believe it or not... That's NOT where it would go.

Modular power supplies don't have a standardized pinout on the PSU side of the cable. You can't use Corsair cables on an EVGA PSU. You can't use CoolerMaster cables on an Enermax PSU, etc.

Your other cable didn't work because the wire gauge was wrong. It didn't work because the pinout is wrong. And the pinout is going to be wrong on this one too.

Even cables made for specific Cooler Master PSUs don't work on other Cooler Master PSUs. For example: I was going to point you to this page:

https://www.cmstore.eu/spare-parts/power-supply/pci-e-6-pin-to-2x-6-2-pin-modular-flat-cable/

But then I saw it said:

original cable from the V850, V1000 and V1200
Please note: This cable is NOT compatible with the MasterWatt series!

Cancel your eBay order. That cable is NOT GOING TO WORK EITHER!

1. I have the version with only one 6+2 pin

There is only one 6-pin connector on the PSU, but it shhould have TWO 6+2 connectors on the cable.

Are you sure you looked down the whole cable?

thehall16

Reputable
May 30, 2020
First of all, I'm not sure I understand. What is the difference between the connector you linked and the one I bought? Second, the order has already shipped and it only cost me $6 so I'm not too worried about it. Also, how would I know if a connector is compatible with my PSU or not? And yes, I really only do have one 6+2 PCI-e slot. It wouldn't make a difference if I did have two, because the cable was incompatible.

What is the difference between the connector you linked and the one I bought?

The pinout on the side that plugs into the PSU.

Also, how would I know if a connector is compatible with my PSU or not?

It would say that it's compatible with Cooler Master MWE power supplies.

And yes, I really only do have one 6+2 PCI-e slot.

Your PSU only has one "PCIe slot" (socket), but the cable that came with your PSU has two PCIe connectors on the same cable. But it seems you don't even have the cable that came with your PSU, right?

thehall16

Reputable
May 30, 2020
The pinout on the side that plugs into the PSU.

It would say that it's compatible with Cooler Master MWE power supplies.

Your PSU only has one "PCIe slot" (socket), but the cable that came with your PSU has two PCIe connectors on the same cable. But it seems you don't even have the cable that came with your PSU, right?
Correct. This PSU came in a pre-built. I am simply trying to install a new GPU but I can't seem to find the right PCI-e connector. I am not familiar with "pinouts" and I'm not sure how to find the one I need. Any suggestions?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Correct. This PSU came in a pre-built. I am simply trying to install a new GPU but I can't seem to find the right PCI-e connector. I am not familiar with "pinouts" and I'm not sure how to find the one I need. Any suggestions?

Then you're probably out of look for free solutions. You should have gotten all relevant cables from the company that built your computer and if you didn't, you're almost certainly out of luck at this point. You'll have to contact Cooler Master to see if they'll sell you one, find a modular PCIE cable that's specifically advertised as being compatible with your exact PSU model, or buy a new PSU.

As JG has noted, power supply cables are only standardized on the end that connects into the component, not the end that connects into the power supply. The worst-case scenario of using the wrong cable isn't that your PC won't run, it's that your PC won't run and you've damaged component(s).

Reactions: jonnyguru

Not sure I can help you there. Even Cooler Master doesn't ofer spare MWE cables (only V Series cables).

You might have to just replace the PSU with a new one.

thehall16

Reputable
May 30, 2020
I have submitted a ticket requesting a PCI-e connector that fits my model #. You guys have been great! Thanks for the help. Wouldn't have been able to figure it out without you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.