PCI Express Question

Afterglow

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005

Hello,

I would like to upgrade my graphics card from an FX 5600 to a 6800 but
I am not sure if my motherboard will take PCI Express, it says PCI 2.3
compliance, not sure if that is the same as PCI Express.

Also my motherboard say only use 1.5 volt AGP cards.... are all new
cards 1.5 or not? Would a AGP 6800 be 1.5volt???

Here are the details on my motherboard
http://www.asrock.com/product/product_p4v88.htm

thanks in advance

> You gotta be thick, AGP and PCI Express are worlds apart. You'll need
a new
> motherboard, new power supply, new graphics card and a new CPU....if
you
> wanna move over it PCI Express.
>
> If not then just get a 6800 AGP card and do your homework before
posting.

Hey man, read the post before insulting! Where did i ask about the
performance diffrence between the PCI and AGP???? I know the PCI is the
better card, re-read my post,,i wasn't asking that... Wot makes you
think my PSU or CPU can't handle it?? (500watt PSU and 3.2P4 HT) My
homework is now complete, time to do yours I think!!

Thank you. Looks like I'll be getting one tomorrow :)

RJT wrote:
> afterglow wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to upgrade my graphics card from an FX 5600 to a 6800
but
> > I am not sure if my motherboard will take PCI Express, it says PCI
2.3
> > compliance, not sure if that is the same as PCI Express.
>
> PCI-Express is a new invention of Intel, and the expansion slots for
> PCI-Express have only appeared in motherboards a few months ago. It
is
> not the same as PCI. If you have an AGP board, you'll need an AGP
card.

> > Also my motherboard say only use 1.5 volt AGP cards.... are all new
> > cards 1.5 or not? Would a AGP 6800 be 1.5volt???
>
> A 6800 AGP version should work just fine in your board.

..... so if PCI Express was created by Intel, does that mean AMD users
won't beable to find a motherboard with PCI Express on? law-suit lol

bencrawley@steelcompany.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

>> You gotta be thick, AGP and PCI Express are worlds apart. You'll need
> a new
>> motherboard, new power supply, new graphics card and a new CPU....if
> you
>> wanna move over it PCI Express.
>>
>> If not then just get a 6800 AGP card and do your homework before
> posting.
>
> Hey man, read the post before insulting! Where did i ask about the
> performance diffrence between the PCI and AGP???? I know the PCI is the
> better card, re-read my post,,i wasn't asking that... Wot makes you
> think my PSU or CPU can't handle it?? (500watt PSU and 3.2P4 HT) My
> homework is now complete, time to do yours I think!!

Well, part of the problem seems to be that you're confusing PCI and PCI
Express. The two are related only in that both are ways to plug cards into
PCs and both have "PCI" in the name. AGP is closer to PCI than PCI Express
is to PCI.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Your motherboard does NOT have a PCI-Express slot. You need an AGP style
video card, like your 5600.

--
DaveW

"afterglow" <bencrawley@steelcompany.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like to upgrade my graphics card from an FX 5600 to a 6800 but
> I am not sure if my motherboard will take PCI Express, it says PCI 2.3
> compliance, not sure if that is the same as PCI Express.
>
> Also my motherboard say only use 1.5 volt AGP cards.... are all new
> cards 1.5 or not? Would a AGP 6800 be 1.5volt???
>
> Here are the details on my motherboard
> http://www.asrock.com/product/product_p4v88.htm
>
> thanks in advance

"afterglow" <bencrawley@steelcompany.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like to upgrade my graphics card from an FX 5600 to a 6800 but
> I am not sure if my motherboard will take PCI Express, it says PCI 2.3
> compliance, not sure if that is the same as PCI Express.
>
> Also my motherboard say only use 1.5 volt AGP cards.... are all new
> cards 1.5 or not? Would a AGP 6800 be 1.5volt???
>
> Here are the details on my motherboard
> http://www.asrock.com/product/product_p4v88.htm
>
> thanks in advance

In a word, no. If it was PCI express, it would say "PCI Express"

"afterglow" <bencrawley@steelcompany.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like to upgrade my graphics card from an FX 5600 to a 6800 but
> I am not sure if my motherboard will take PCI Express, it says PCI 2.3
> compliance, not sure if that is the same as PCI Express.
>
> Also my motherboard say only use 1.5 volt AGP cards.... are all new
> cards 1.5 or not? Would a AGP 6800 be 1.5volt???

You gotta be thick, AGP and PCI Express are worlds apart. You'll need a new
motherboard, new power supply, new graphics card and a new CPU....if you
wanna move over it PCI Express.

If not then just get a 6800 AGP card and do your homework before posting.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

6800 AGP will work in your motherboard. It is 1.5 volt compatible.

DaveL

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "afterglow" <bencrawley@steelcompany.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to upgrade my graphics card from an FX 5600 to a 6800 but
>> I am not sure if my motherboard will take PCI Express, it says PCI 2.3
>> compliance, not sure if that is the same as PCI Express.
>>
>> Also my motherboard say only use 1.5 volt AGP cards.... are all new
>> cards 1.5 or not? Would a AGP 6800 be 1.5volt???
>
> You gotta be thick, AGP and PCI Express are worlds apart. You'll need a
> new motherboard, new power supply, new graphics card and a new CPU....if
> you wanna move over it PCI Express.
>
> If not then just get a 6800 AGP card and do your homework before posting.

bencrawley@steelcompany.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> .... so if PCI Express was created by Intel, does that mean AMD users
> won't beable to find a motherboard with PCI Express on? law-suit lol

Well, let's see, the whole x86 was created by Intel and that hasn't stopped
AMD from beating them at their own game, in terms of performance anyway.

More to the point there are a number of PCI Express motherboards for AMD
processors currently available.