PCI express slot

henrykelli103

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
Hey, I recently picked up an hp pavilion with a i3 inside and was wondering if I can put a gtx 750 on there? I can’t find what motherboard It has a slot at the top that looks like gpus go inside

Solution

It will switch by itself when you install the card (monitor plugged into the card). You will need to install the driver for the card.
The 1030 compared to your built in graphics.
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-HD-530-Desktop-Skylake-vs-Nvidia-GT-1030/m33102vsm283726
And it's right at the same...

Albionm00n

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
Greetings!

Being an HP, it is possible that it has a proprietary motherboard, but chances are that you should be able to add a GTX 750, with a few caveats...You will need to know whether or not the card requires a power connection to the PSU separate from just pulling power from the slot on the motherboard (the GPU will have a 4 to 8 pin plug on it if it requires separate power), and if the PSU has an extra connector cable to plug into the card (many OEM brand computers may not, for it was not needed for their initial setup and configuration). If this is the case, you will need to find a GPU that only requires power from the motherboard...which is totally available for a GTX 750 or 750Ti. The next consideration is if the GPU will fit in your case. If it is a small form factor case, only small form factor GPUs will physically fit...again, something that is readily available in the 750.

If you can provide your serial/model number for your Pavilion, we should be able to do some deeper digging to let you know what may or may not work, and possibly recommend the proper course of action for you.

Hope this helps!

henrykelli103

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

It helped a lot! And I actually looked for the serial number instead of being lazy and found it.
Serial number: CNV6190449

Product number: V8P09AA#AVA

its a pavilion 510-p010 with an i3

Albionm00n

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Thank you! OK, after a little digging, this is what I have found: You can put a GTX 750 in your HP, but the caveats that I mentioned are in play for your situation. The PSU that came with your computer is only rated for 180 Watts, and to be honest, I would be doubtful if that is even reliable power, for OEMs rarely ever use high quality power supplies. What this means is that you will likely have to upgrade your PSU in order to power the card. It looks like your case will take a standard ATX PSU, and a solid yet inexpensive replacement to consider would be this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=n82e16817438015&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-DSAFeed-All-Products-_-powersupplies-_-NA&ignorebbr&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIocSXk-f41gIVWLbACh1ongm2EAAYASAAEgIjuvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Once you have upgraded the PSU, you are free to upgrade the GPU...again, the caveat though...I would look for a small or single slot variant. It appears that your 24 pin power connection to the motherboard is located directly under the PCIe slot, which would directly interfere with a dual-slot GPU. Here is a link for the smallest version I could find: https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MSI-750TL2. I actually could not find a 750 (non-Ti) that was even affordable...I found 2 for around $200+.

You could drop down to the GT 730 (affordable, low profile, low power draw) but if you are looking to have a good gaming experience, I would recommend the GTX 750 (Ti) and PSU upgrade.

Oh yeah, here is the link for your computer's specs: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05124499 just in case you needed it:)

Hope this helps!

henrykelli103

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

Could I upgrade the power supply aswell? Or is it not worth it?

Albionm00n

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
Yes, the GT 1030 is another good choice! Depending on what game titles you are playing, the GT 1030 offers only about 20% reduction in fps on average. Now, that could be a huge consideration for you, for again depending on the titles, you may not be interested in 40 fps when you could get 50 - 55 with the 750Ti. This all comes down to the actual games you play and the settings you want to play at (low/medium vs. medium/high), and whether or not upgrading the PSU for a stronger GPU is worth it to you for your needs. That is the one question we can't answer for you, for only you know best for yourself:) Also, looking at the 750Ti I recommended, it appears that the cooling shroud should just clear the 24 pin power, or at the most only press on the wires slightly (but not enough to strain or damage) for you only need about 5mm above the power socket for the wires to pass out and bend away, and it looks like there is about 10mm clearance from the side of the 750Ti's pcb edge and the fan shroud...should give you about 5mm to spare...

henrykelli103

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

Thanks for the answer I have one more question. My i3 6100 has intels he graphics if I order a 1030 I can switch to that card instead of the cpu right?

henrykelli103

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from henrykelli103 : "Upgrading Old PC"

Uhh I wanted to do low budget 100-150 and a medium budget 200-300 what can I do with both? I'm not looking for ultra or even high settings, just a decent experience with the cheapest parts and what I already have.

It's not a different topic so I just merged it. An i3 6100t will do perfectly fine for the games you want to play. The mobo limits it to a single slot gpu. I don't think the 24 pin connector itself was factored in for a dual slot gpu. That would hit it without even talking about the wires coming out.

Having to buy a mobo, psu, and gpu seems like a bit much to fit a 1050ti at most. A 1030 should work on your current specs and the games you want. It's more than double the performance as your current intel hd 530. Although that's not saying much considering the 530 performance. You can google the 1030 and the games you play to see how it fairs.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

It will switch by itself when you install the card (monitor plugged into the card). You will need to install the driver for the card.
The 1030 compared to your built in graphics.
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-HD-530-Desktop-Skylake-vs-Nvidia-GT-1030/m33102vsm283726
And it's right at the same performance of the GTX 750.
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-750-vs-Nvidia-GT-1030/3162vsm283726

Solution