PCI Express x16, v1 compatible with v2 ???

ranger90

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I have a motherboard with a PCI Express x16 slot (Intel dg33FB)

I have a video card (Nvidia 9600, I think), that's a v2.0 card.

Are the two compatible???

Can I put a v2.0 card in a v1.0 slot?

I vaguely remember trying this before, and it didn't seem to work, I seem to remember alternating lines of display, and blackness (even during POST).

Some said it was a bad card...

Just curious, should I be looking at forgoing the 9600 card, and finding something else....

Thanks in Advance...

Krossfyre

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Yes, it will work. It won't have access to the full bandwidth available with 2.0, but it will operate. I don't know if the reduced bandwidth will affect performance though.

Generally it should work, there were a limited number of Motherboards that had compatability issues when the cards first came out but on the whole it should work fine and performance wise you wont notice any differance. Easiest way is to check for GPU compatability on the Motherboard makers site.

Mactronix

ranger90

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Thanks for all the replies.. I'll do more digging on Intel's site.
If I can't get the 9600 to work....

Any recommendations for an v1.0 Nvidia video card? around $200.00????

paranoidmage

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008

It's a G33 board so there won't be a problem.

ranger90

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I have verified the card "can" work in other systems. It was installed into a system with a v2 slot, and worked fine.

More info on card. Chaintech 9600GT. 512MB, 650MHz.

The screen during post would have green lines on it. It looked like somebody dipped a comb in green paint and run it across the display. I could still see post messages under the green lines.

My current theory is that my power supply (430W Antec that came with case) isn't beefy enough. The system it worked in has an 650W Antec. I have ordered a bigger power supply (750W Antec).

If it doesn't work with new power supply, mobo will be replaced.

Hmm... Antec is a good brand an a 430w should be able to handle that card easily I would think... if it old and doesn't have much power on the +12v rail it could be the problem however. If you've already ordered the PSU I guess you'll find out.
If it's the motherboard then I guess the good news is your new PSU should be able to handle any video card you might want to upgrade to in the future.

ranger90

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I found out what was wrong....

It turns out the mobo, and video card are just fine.

When I was working with this combination, I was connecting the system up through my Belkin KVM switch.

I bypassed the KVM, and the video turned out just fine.

Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a new KVM switch, or move some machines around...