PCI GeforceFX options

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Hi.

I'm trying to track down a PCI board with CineFX2 engine. The fastest PCI board I've been able to find is the Inno3D 5600, but that's got the older CineFX, as does the readily available 5200. Anyone know of anyone making a PCI version of the 5700 or better?

Before I get told to upgrade the mainboard and use AGP, I've got an AGP card already, it's not being used for graphics so transfer rates don't matter, and it's got to be PCI so I can run more than one in the machine.

Thanks,
Poorboy.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
you mean you want a card that is has a cinefx2 engine but run in multiple system units?

Or what you really mean is DUAL DISPLAY?

<b>MY PC SPECS</b>
Intel P4 2.0GHz | 256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM | Nvidia GeForceFX 5200 64MB | Integrated Audio | Asus P4S333 SiS645 | Seagate 40GB 7.2KRPM HDD | WIN98SE

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
No, you guys are misreading my post. It's not being used for graphics - at all. No display is being used, I'm using the GPU for floating point math calculations. So more cards == more GPUs == more math gets done == faster custom application performance. Which is why I want multiple PCI cards with 5700 or better GPU.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

Mloot

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I like to think of myself as being somewhat in the know about PCI video cards, but I haven't heard of anything coming out soon that is more recent than the FX 5600 PCI. I had heard, a month or so ago, that Palit was going to produce a FX 5600XT PCI, but that will probably be just a FX 5600 PCI with lower clock speeds.

I believe it was here on THG that there was a picture of a prototype FX 5900 PCI by Palit, but I sent them an e-mail a while ago and they wrote back to say that it would not be going into production.

Good luck in your search.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
Oh so you mean,
It's like a supercomputer in which, in your case are not composed of multiple "CPU", but "GPU".

That's going to cost a lot if you found one.

<b>MY RIG</b>
<font color=purple> INTEL P4 2.0GHZ | NVIDIA GEFORCEFX 5200 64MB | 256MB DDR266 SDRAM | INT. AUDIO | SEAGATE 7200.7 40GB HDD | LG 15" CRT | WIN98SE</font color=purple>

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Something like that, yeh.

There's been some research done into using the GPU for "general purpose" (eg, scientific) computing, because they're screamingly fast at floating point calculations and quite cheap compared to DSP or FPGA options at low volumes. With the advent of programmable GPUs, decent floating point support, and libraries becoming available, things have gotten very interesting.

To give you an idea of speed, I think I saw a benchmark recently comparing a 5900 to a 10GHz P4 for the calculations it was doing... Anyways, they're pretty effective for some jobs. The 5200 and 5600 PCI cards that are currently available will be a lot slower, but even 1/3 that speed on a card is a useful boost.

Related link:
GPGPU.org <A HREF="http://www.gpgpu.org/" target="_new">http://www.gpgpu.org/</A> (check out the Frogger game linked on the front page ;-) )

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>