Pci intake fan to feed GPU

dicko_11_is

Commendable
Oct 10, 2017
I have a gtx1080ti with a heavy overclock and while the cooler is good im in hot Australia and the cards wants to hit 80c+ even with a very aggressive fan curve.
Gpu: aorus Gtx1080ti xtreme edition

Im thinking of mounting a small 100mm fan with filter on the outside of pci slots under the gpu to intake some colder air which "in theory" the gpu will push through the heatsink.

Thoughts on if this could drop temps a few degree's???

oKK04Ox.jpg

YXdr1QD.jpg

Solution

I see. Well if you already have push-pull you could get your GPU by ~5°C cooler with a pci fan. As you...

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
How would that improve air flow compared to simply taking the side panel off? You already have a see through glass side...
You could simply use your front radiator in push-pull, and get more fresh air into the case that way. All you need to do that is some extra screws and fans.
If you stick to your plan, use a template !

dicko_11_is

Commendable
Oct 10, 2017

The photo of my pc is actually a little old. I have push pull on tbe radiator now. It helped with cpu temps alot and abit more airflow in the case but its still warm air fro. The cpu. I feel the pci fan would be bringing cooler ambient temp air to the gpu. Ill just have to give it a go a guess

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018

I see. Well if you already have push-pull you could get your GPU by ~5°C cooler with a pci fan. As you have sufficient intake, you don´t even need one that drives air from outside the case.
It may interfere with your colour scheme, but GeLid SL-PCI-02 is a reliable piece with replaceable fans.

How are your exhaust fans set up?

Solution

dicko_11_is

Commendable
Oct 10, 2017
Thanks. I will check that fan out. Exhaust is the 3x nzxt aer rgb fans you see at the top and the top/rear as exhaust. No radiator there so i run them at like 30% speed as they dont have anything to fight against