Question PCI Max Link Speed Auto ?

Apr 7, 2019
Hi guys i have a question abaout PCI LINK SPEED this picture will help it

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ngyn8i&s=9#.XRi7Bq9R2Uk
2ngyn8i.jpg

so when i check my bios i saw that my speeds are on auto when i click on them i saw Gen 1 Gen 2 Gen 3, should i let them on auto or should i select gen 3 for stability and performance in games ?

Apr 7, 2019
Alright i switched PCI E1, E4 and Chipset to Gen 3

any idea about the last 2 ? lanes config has 4x4x4x4 and 8x8 and the other one can be Disabled or enabled

any idea about the last 2 ? lanes config has 4x4x4x4 and 8x8 and the other one can be Disabled or enabled

Those might be the PCI lanes configuration for your Motherboard, IMO. What's the exact model number of your Motherboard ? And, which CPU model do you have ?

Just as an example, but based on older gen motherboards. I'm just pointing this here for reference. This info might not be fully correct though.

Okay, as we know, mostly the main PCIe controller is integrated into the CPU and has 16 lanes mapped to the x16 slot on most mobos. On SLI/CFX compatible boards, these lanes may be either hard-wired for x8x8, x8x4x4, or may also have PCIe multiplexers to re-route 8 lanes to the 2nd x16 connector, to switch between x16, x8x8 and possibly x8x4x4 configurations.

The other (non-x16) PCIe slots are connected to the IO Hub's PCIe 2.0 lanes. But usually this has only 8 lanes, one of them is usually taken by the GbE chip, if I'm not mistaken, so the other PCIe slots have x4x1x1 configuration.

Getting more into the topic, we can know about how many LANES you have available. This is usually dependent on what the motherboard and CPU is capable of providing. A i7-7700k is able to provide 16 lanes, in the form of a single x16 or as 2x8's or as 1x8 and 2x4's. Whereas a Xeon E5 - 4669 is able to provide 40 lanes. Theses lanes represent the bandwidth that is being allocated to a certain component/expansion card; more lanes means more maximum bandwidth. If you plugged in a single GPU, you could have it run at x16. If you covered half of the connection pins, you would force the gpu to only run at x8. There is also a difference in bandwidth by different generations of PCI-E. There is gen 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0. Each successive generation provides ~2x more bandwidth than its predecessor.