PCI serial controller driver missing?

dbota

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Just assembled a new Asus A7V133 / Win98SE system, putting my old HD & win98SE HD in it. Upon 1st boot windows went thru a number of recognize/install/reboot iterations until it had all components recognized and drivers installed except one ... the PCI Serial Controller driver. This can't be found by Windows and I don't know where to find it so in Device Manager the PCI Serial Controller shows up with a yellow exclamation point AND probably because of this my new USR 56K voice modem will not work or communicate with Windows modem diagnostics. Can anyone tell me where to find this driver?

I installed the 4 in 1 driver that comes on a CD with the ASUS MB but could not find any PCE serial driver there or on the win98 SE CD...

G

The Pci Serial Controller that you see under other devices IS your new 56k usr modem. This is what windows recognizes the modem as before the drivers are installed.
Use the update device driver wizard in the properties of the device with the drive disk for the modem and this should take care of you modem problem, and your serial controller.
Good luck