PCI slot noob question

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
I have a question that needs an answer so that I can ask an opinion question later.

So here goes with my noob question. How can I tell what kind of PCI slot I have? I have a DFI motherboard that is a few years old and want to replace with on-board sound with a new sound card (this is the opinion question). However, before I can even think about asking which 5.1 sound card would be the best for under $50, I have to know what sort of PCI slot I have. I know for certain that I don't have PCI express (i know I should... but hey, I'm poor).

IF you're feeling really helpful and caring, you could suggest the best sub-50 buck soundcards for any/all PCI slots that would support 5.1 sound.

Thanks.

ali3596

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
there are few different slots..... AGP, PCI, and PCI-E..... if there are 3-6 white slots on your mobo, chances are you have PCI slots....

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
The white slots are PCI. That's what you will use for a soundcard. If you have a brown one at the top then that is and AGP slot. For video card only.
Chances are you don't have PCI-e if its a couple of years old.

also some are red or orange. :wink:

agp i mean :oops:

shamoo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
pci
IP150_600.jpg

agp
agp.jpg

isa
bpBP-6S.jpg

pci express (the black highlighted one is pci express 16x you dont have it just for show)
828.jpg

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
yeah i know. different manufactures, different brands.

thats why i posted to mr. familly, and he knows too :roll:

edit; in pci-e ive only seen blue and black.
but dont really remember or pay attention to colors.

shamoo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
pci is mostly white
pci-e and agp can be almost any coloer.

thats probably what i should have said :lol:

you should see dfi boards
there nice
florescent orange and they react in uv light which is really neat...
im waiting to buy a new comp... (has been waiting for a comp for like 2 years hehe) but if i were to get a board it would be dfi.