PCI slots not working?

Shiska

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
So I got a Z97 extreme6 mobo and a r9 390 xfx. It's my first time installing a new mobo and assuming all the wirings and pins were done right I'm not sure why the mobo won't recognize the graphics card.

Is it because of the wattage? I have a 700 watt psu

Or is it because my PCI slots aren't working?

When I boot up, the mobo would just use the onboard graphics instead of recognizing the r9. I did a little test and swapped in a gtx 750 ti but this time the monitor did not display at all.

I'm at a lost and any advice would be great.

Solution
You probably connected the Monitor with your Motherboard through an HDMI or DVI cable,connect the monitor with the R9 390,this will automatically disable the Onboard graphics and starts to use the dedicated GPU.

If you connected the card with monitor and not getting the display,check if you have connected the PSU with the card properly,try other PCI slot.

BTW which PSU you have? Name?
"When I boot up, the mobo would just use the onboard graphics instead of recognizing the r9"
It means that the graphics card is not powered. You need to connect all required PCIe cables to it. And monitor has to be connected to the graphics card, and not motherboard.

SPgamer007

Honorable
You probably connected the Monitor with your Motherboard through an HDMI or DVI cable,connect the monitor with the R9 390,this will automatically disable the Onboard graphics and starts to use the dedicated GPU.

If you connected the card with monitor and not getting the display,check if you have connected the PSU with the card properly,try other PCI slot.

BTW which PSU you have? Name?

Solution

SPgamer007

Honorable
Glad you fixed it,BTW your PSU is crap and you shouldn't completely depend on it for a long run with R9 390, i suggest changing it to a good quality 650w unit.
Refer to Tier List of PSU in my signature,tier 1 and 2 qualities preferred for high end gaming machine like yours.
GL