PCI to Low-profile PCI-Express x16 slot adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eilif

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-PCI-Express-Profile-Extension-Adapter/dp/B0039XPS5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278074789&sr=

Will i be able to plug a PCI express x16 GPU into this adapter from PCI x1? Will it be able to run the GPU just as a normal PCI-e x16? :lol:

Solution
Having an AGP port and a PCIE x1 slot does sound unlikely.
If that is actually a case it will work but the card will be limited to the bandwidth a x1 slot can provide. Basically if your goal is gaming then I wouldn't bother. If you just want a basic card for standard computer functions then it should be ok but I suspect just looking for a old, used basic AGP card would be cheaper than the adapter + a new PCIE x16 card.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

have a look closer to the specs:

Technical Details
Product Description: StarTech.com PCI-Express x1 to Low Profile x16 Slot Extension Adapter - PCIe x1 to PCIe x16 slot adapter
Product Type: PCIe x1 to PCIe x16 slot adapter
Manufacturer Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty

eilif

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
because i have a shitty old MoBo, with tons of normal PCI, one AGP and one PCI Express x1... And In my country there are not many AGP GPU's to choose from... :lol:

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

you know the specs?
i think YOU are the one who went wrong.. put on your lenses and read it again

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

and pcie x1 but no pcie x16?? thats really strange for me
agp mobo has no pcie because that technology wasn't established when it was made
still they were able to make pcie x1 along with AGP :lol:

eilif

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
that's my other PC. i am talking about another computer of mine.... OMG... I am wondering if this adapter will be able to handle a GPU? That's what i want an answer to, because i dont know! Thats why i am asking u guys! Will it be able to handle a GPU? And by the way, in my last post i Meant 2.0 not 1.0 :lol:

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

its not goin to handle the card...
if you plug v2.0 card into v1.0 you will see performance drop then you can just imagine what you will see here..
and this is plugged into x1 slot its gonna run in that bandwidth of x1 not x16
better get a new mobo for it...

Having an AGP port and a PCIE x1 slot does sound unlikely.
If that is actually a case it will work but the card will be limited to the bandwidth a x1 slot can provide. Basically if your goal is gaming then I wouldn't bother. If you just want a basic card for standard computer functions then it should be ok but I suspect just looking for a old, used basic AGP card would be cheaper than the adapter + a new PCIE x16 card.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.