PCI Video slow the system?

MaxSk8

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Hi,

I have a PCI videocard on my old P4. I wanted to put it in a new computer (a HP with a E6550). Someone told me that using a PCI Card in a new system would slow considerably the computer because new board are not made to be use with a video card in a PCI slot. Is that true? I want to use this card instead of the onboard because I need dual screen. I'm not gonna use this PC for gaming.

Thanks.

MaxSk8

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
I don't have the time to try it because i'm doing it for someone else and i don't have the PC right now.

Anyone ever heard of that?

MaxSk8

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
I don't have the time to try it because i'm doing it for someone else and i don't have the PC right now.

Anyone ever heard of that?

4745454b

Titan
I never have. I do know that if you plug a PCIx (different from PCIe) card into a PCI slot it will work, but at a much slower speed. This is because half the card is hanging out the back of the PCI slot. I think if you plug in a 66MHz PCIx card into a PCIX 133 slot, it will slow ALL cards down to PCIx 66.

The only thing I can think of as to what he is talking about is PCI video cards are not fast. Depending on what PCI card you have, the onboard is probably faster. This would make "the computer" slower if you use the older PCI card, as the graphics wouldn't be as fast. If you aren't gaming however, this won't matter.

TRENDING THREADS