Status
Not open for further replies.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Does anyone know of any? And I'm not talking PCI-express that gets confused with PCI-X.

I have an intel server that used the interface with no PCI-e support or agp. Just wanted to see whats out there.
Thanks!
Cheers.

cleeve

Illustrious
I hear matrox used to make one, I'd imagine Ati and Nvidia probably had something out as well, but good luck finding anything.

You're probably better off with a plain PCI graphics card, at least you can find those...

sailer

Splendid
Joking about what? The article is there, along with the cards that I referenced. Perhaps I didn't properly understand what PCcashcow's question, but the subject title was seemed to ask what PCI-X cards were available, so I referenced that. I wasn't trying to be all inclusive, just giving a place to start.

nyeent

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I have the same situation with an ASUS twin Xeon server with an embedded 8MB video card. The one PCI slot is being used for the sound card, and I want to find a PCI-X (Not PCI-E) video card. The problem is that PCI-X has a different slot configuration plus it is set back further than the regular slots.

Matrox has told me that they have two cards that will fit, plus they have a 30 day no-hassle return policy.

This is from Tech Support @Matrox

<<<Depending on what your price range would be we have 2 solutions.

We have the Millennium, P650 PCI that is able to operate at up to 66MHz in a PCI-X slot.
It will support 2 monitors, DVI, CRT, or both.
Or, it will support 1 monitor and 1 NTSC/PAL TV.
The Millennium P650 PCI is more of an entry level product. It's equipped with 64MB of RAM.

The other solution is the Parhelia PCI 256. A much higher end product.
It will support 3 monitors. 3 CRTs, or 1 DVI and 2 CRTs.
It will also support 2 monitors, DVI, CRT, or both.
Or, it will support 2 monitors and 1 NTSC/PAL TV.
The Parhelia PCI 256 can operate at 64bit/66MHz.
It's equipped with 256MB of RAM.

Millennium P650 Low Profile PCI, Part number P65-MDDAP64
Parhelia PCI 256MB, Part Number: PH-P256

For both cards, the TV Out cable is sold separately.

>>>>>>

I have not had a chance to try either card yet. Has anybody had luck with either of these in a PCI-X slot?

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I don't know if this is true or not, but perhaps a regular PCI card will fit in the X slot? I know many PCI-X cards will work in a PCI slot, so maybe it works the other way too?

Does anyone know of any? And I'm not talking PCI-express that gets confused with PCI-X.

I have an intel server that used the interface with no PCI-e support or agp. Just wanted to see whats out there.
Thanks!
Cheers.

Good luck finding one, let alone being able to purchase it...Matrox makes the Parhelia DL256 PCI-X video card but haven't seen it available for purchase anywhere...also, keep in mind, that if you do find and purchase a PCI-X video card, it's not going to be a gaming card, anything like that would be geared more towards a server or CAD workstation...

You can purchase a PCI video card and use it the PCI-X slot...

IMO, you'd be better off swapping out that mobo for one that supports PCI-X as well as PCI-e, maybe even SLI...something like the SUPERMICRO X6DAT-G and future proof yourself...

It all depends on what your using the machine for...gaming, workstations, websurfing...that would determine which way to go...

Good luck!

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
IMO, you'd be better off swapping out that mobo for one that supports PCI-X as well as PCI-e, maybe even SLI...something like the SUPERMICRO X6DAT-G and future proof yourself...
It was a cheap solution to getting all pony's out of my pci-x133 raid card for my san and internal raid setup.

Yeah, I wont do any gamming, but I thought it'd be worth searching around for one. The bandwidth availible on that bus is way higher than pci'e for parrallel processing. I kind of wonder why no one has taken advantage of it.

But thanks all for your help.

cleeve

Illustrious
Paralel processing?

Your videocard doesn't do anything except process screen output and 3d data for games. If you're not gaming or using CAD, the PCI-X interface will provide no benefit. use a PCI card for cheep.

Me_cago_en_el_moderador

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
It was a cheap solution to getting all pony's out of my pci-x133 raid card for my san and internal raid setup.

Yeah, I wont do any gamming, but I thought it'd be worth searching around for one. The bandwidth availible on that bus is way higher than pci'e for parrallel processing. I kind of wonder why no one has taken advantage of it.

But thanks all for your help. No one takes advantage because only servers and workstations have it and someone have the AGP idea. PCI-X is usefull in video editing with coprocesors etc and Matrox is got at that. In servers is usefull in lan an RAID like PCIe x4 will be in a near future.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I don't know if this is true or not, but perhaps a regular PCI card will fit in the X slot? I know many PCI-X cards will work in a PCI slot, so maybe it works the other way too?

Yes, that's possible, it will drop the PCI-X bus and all devices on that buss to 33MHz (unless the PCI card supports 66MHz). I am currently running a PCI sound card (Audigy2 ZS) in a PCI-X 100 slot due to lack of 32/33 PCI slots.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Paralel processing?

Your videocard doesn't do anything except process screen output and 3d data for games. If you're not gaming or using CAD, the PCI-X interface will provide no benefit. use a PCI card for cheep.

It is possible to use a video card as a targeted high-performance, high throughput processor
Edit:here's a link.

djpont

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I feel for you. I just got an old Tyan S2518, and all it has for slots is two PCI-X 64 bit 66MHZ slots. There are both different, one is 3.3V, the other is 5V and they are keyed differently. So I am also looking for a video card to take advantage of one of the PCI-X slots, but I must be careful that the RAID card I use is the other variety. Lots of idiots on eBay use the PCI-X as a substitute for PCI express, and they are nowhere close.

What slot(s) do you have? Mine are short-long-medium (3.3 I think)and long-short-medium (Would be the 5V then).

Kiauma

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Resurrecting this thread...

I think that vid chip makers really missed the boat on not supporting PCI-X, and I'll tell you why.

The video card industry has supported legacy PCI, which I appreciate, but IMO it's a bit ridiculous to see a GeForce 9500 GT with 1 GB of RAM with a legacy PCI interface.

Many of the buyers of legacy PCI cards are using old server boards, like I am. These comps were the most powerful thing going in their day, e.g. dual 3 GHz Xeons, so are still adequate for many uses today, even for a server 7 or 8 years old. These can be built very cheaply now from eBay. Their one down side which can't be overcome is the lack of a decent video option. USB 2 you can add, GigaNIC you can add, SATA you can add. The architecture of many of these boards included multiple PCI buses, so with judicious choices of what peripheral goes in what slot everything could be made to work very well together, very fast. Unfortunately, most PCs only have one PCI bus to work with which usually shares with NIC or sound card, or both - but I know a large number of legacy PCI vid card buyers are using old servers, who would benefit a lot from a PCI-X vid card, judging by such things as PCI vid card reviews on vender sites.

PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI - the unused pins will simply not be used, and the card need be no longer than a ordinary 32 bit PCI vid card, so there is really no need that two different cards be made for PCI and PCI-X, as long as they follow the universal spec.

But let's look at the numbers. Going by memory, PCI 32 bit has a data rate of 133 MB/s, PCI-X @ 133 MHz has about 1 GB/s. AGP had a max data rate of about 3 GB/s, and PCI-e x16 has a data rate of 4 GB/s (please correct me if I'm wrong, though the numbers are just for rough comparison).

So, yes, PCI-X doesn't really compare with PCI-e or even AGP - but it is still 7 and 1/2 times faster than regular PCI! Given the performance I have seen with just a regular PCI vid card (on it's own bus with no other competing peripherals) this would give a HUGE performance boost - enough to make the bus quite usable for most games, or for flawless Aero performance, which is a huge plus.

I think if one of the vid chip manufacturers wised up and sold a Vista compatible chip with PCI-X support, he would sell a TON of them - but I also doubt if we'll ever see it, unfortunately - the market mentality for regular 32 bit legacy PCI seems just too entrenched, which is just sad - sad for the chip manufacturers, and sad for all the potential customers.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
PCI-X never went mainstream for graphics. Nobody thought a server would need more than a IGP display driver. PCI-X was an implementation for high speed NIC cards and raid controllers.

The days of PCI-X, PCI, and AGP is long over. They hardly make boards with PCI slots now. My motherboard has only PCI-E slots.

New sound cards and NIC like the ones I have are all PCI-E x1 which gives more than ample bandwidth. PCI-E 2.0 runs at 8GB/s max which is blazing fast.

I think they stopped production of PCI or AGP graphics cards a few years back. You can still find some on the market but thats about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.