PCI128 problem, Please help!

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello,

I am currently building my brother computer for him. The important spec is as follows:

Abit KT7A (with latest BIOS)
Sound Blaster PCI128 2 speaker OEM
Prophet 4500
SupraExpress 56i PRO
(Windows 98 SE)
I have used the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers for the motherboard.

When Windows loads up the inital sound sample starts to play but have way through (while stuff is still loading) it changes and sounds like a spectrum loading... the sound sample is completely inaudiable. i.e. doesn't seem to be playing. If we try playing a sound sample it just sounds terrible - like the spectrum loading. However music from a CD in the CD-ROM drive sounds fine. It makes me think that the problem is with the PCI bus or that something loading causing the sound to become corrupted. I've tried various programs in msconfig but with no effect. If you disable one program (EnsoniqMixer - starter.exe) another one is created and activated on a restart!

Many thanks in advance

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Back again,

The computer won't play .wav files properly and sound in-game plays back with a bit of distortion, but its still listernable. Music plays fine.

Thanks again

McEwin

PS I'm using all the latest drivers.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
It sure sounds like a software problem.

Can you uninstall the sound mixer from start > settings > control panel > add/remove programs ?

Either that or uninstall everything associated with the soundcard, and reinstall just the basic driver.