[SOLVED] Pcie 2.0 vs 3.0 / Moving from 750ti to 1650 on 2.0 System

Jul 2, 2020
The system I have is basically an 8-core 8350 black edition (4ghz so fairly bottleneck-proof), on an Asrock 970 Pro 3 R2.0. Unable to do anything about this for a while, so I am looking to get a mild boost to the graphics capability which is a 2Gb 750ti running on a 2.0 x16 slot. I was looking at the 1650 4Gb (eg a PNY "XLR8" OC) as a replacement as it fits my needs for ports/size/low power etc at a reasonable price.

The problem is... this is listed as for a 3.0 16x slot. I know that it should work in the 2.0 slot at a reduced speed but how much difference are we talking about here?

Basically have an old DK2 Oculus (and I would only need a /tiny/ bit more performance out of ETS2 and ATS as they are near perfect) and play some older stuff like PUBG which requires lowest settings and 720p res, and wondering how held back a 1650 4gb would be by that slot.

Last edited:
Solution
1650 Super cards with GDDR6 memory can be found for almost the same cost as the standard 1650 cards and have a good speed bump, I would get one of those instead. This one is good https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeF...BX482QZKZPP&psc=1&refRID=DPZFENVZMBX482QZKZPP

I bought a PNY version myself for someone to use after some researching, the small extra cost over a standard 1650 is nothing compared to the speed boost.

Make sure do to a BIOS update on the motherboard before switching.
Jul 2, 2020
The 1660 Super is also at least £100 more, and I just don't have that to spare. It's very much a case of "this seems to be the best fit for me, and is the handicap that slot would give it going to make it less worthwhile?". It's giving the graphics capability it a little more RAM to play with (and I don't feel the need for 6Gb right now), and it looks to give a decent boost over my current card for the price if the 2.0 vs 3.0 isn't an issue. (The particular card does list as being for a PCie 3.0 16x slot)

Last edited:

kiriakos-gr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
www.ittsb.eu
I am not pushing the envelope so the consumers to spent more.
Right now there is a reality, there is out there 6% of games them go wild and request 4.6GB VGA Ram at 1080P.
Such an inconvenience can be solved by the 1660 super 6GB.
Simple as that.

Jul 2, 2020
Appreciated, I just happen to know that what I am going to be playing (the older stuff like ETS2/ATS and PUBG) I can live with 4Gb. Its that "how much is putting a card that specifies pcie 3.0 x16 in a 2.0 x16 slot going to affect me".

1650 Super cards with GDDR6 memory can be found for almost the same cost as the standard 1650 cards and have a good speed bump, I would get one of those instead. This one is good https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeF...BX482QZKZPP&psc=1&refRID=DPZFENVZMBX482QZKZPP

I bought a PNY version myself for someone to use after some researching, the small extra cost over a standard 1650 is nothing compared to the speed boost.

Make sure do to a BIOS update on the motherboard before switching.

Solution
Jul 2, 2020
This seems like a very solid idea and looks to be about £20 or so difference (and I cannot stretch beyond that). My motherboard's last BIOS update was late 2016 and is already in but I'll dig around to check for any incompatibility.
Again as long as I'm not going to be losing too much running a 3.0 x16 card on a 2.0 x16 slot, I think you might have just talked me into it..!
Anyone else care to chime in?

your CPU will pose more bottleneck than the PCI-E slot version. tech power up test RTX2080Ti with PCI-E 3.0 at x8 speed (which equal to PCI-E 2.0 x16 in term of bandwidth) and they did not see any major slow down. two or three percent slowdown at best. and that is the fastest gaming GPU in the world we have today.

TRENDING THREADS