PCIe 2.0 x16 Slot Asus P6X58D-E MB Compatible With PCIe 3.0 x16 Graphics Card?

Ebacheba

Reputable
May 21, 2015
Hey,

I built a computer a couple of years ago with some assistance. I have recently upgraded it accordingly with new parts (16GB RAM at 1600) but I'm currently running on a 1GB GTX 460 which isn't running most of the newest games that well anymore. I'm considering purchasing a GeForce GTX 970 4GB which has a PCIe 3.0 x16 to last me for a long time.

From what I can tell after searching through a few forums, the 2.0 slot on my MB should be able to run graphics cards with 3.0 x16, and as long as it's x16 it should generally run at the same speed. It's a lot of money for me to spend and I just want to be certain.

Long story short, my question is this:

What should I look out for when upgrading my graphics card on this MB? Is the 3.0 x16 the only concern or are there others? Will this high end graphics card actually work? I would just like some confirmation.

Quickly, I have also noticed that there are multiple types of the GTX 970 (Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, EVGA), and I have noticed about a $40 AUS price range.What's the big difference/appeal?

The Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Windforce OC 4GB is about 40 dollars cheaper than the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB, whilst the MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB Video Card sits comfortably in the middle.

Thankyou, I hope you take the time to read this and reply :)

Solution
Maxwell cards like GTX 970 have the "boost" technology that is a kind of auto-overclock. It raises card clocks if the thermals are good. Unless you are going to do benchmarks for the e-peen, overclocking will not give you any real world advantage.

Yes, get a card with good cooler like MSI 970 Gaming, Gigabyte Gaming or ASUS Strix.

Afterdark3

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Well, there really shouldn't be an issue with motherboard compatability. And the differences between cards is just because cards have all different features, and if they have a better cooler they will be better or better Overclocking, but for all intents and purposes, it will not affect preformance, and if you are not overclocking, then just get the cheapest one, and if you care, do the research and find one that you like.

Ebacheba

Reputable
May 21, 2015

Thank you for the quick reply!
I can't imagine Overclocking a GTX 970 will make a difference to how fast it runs, but I do understand what you're saying. I am trying to avoid liquid cooling etc and have a cooler master case and plenty of airflow, should I perhaps go with the MSI then because it has way more cooling? (What I'm asking: Are overlocking and cooling the main differences to watch out for between types?)

Afterdark3

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

The short answer, is yes.

holyprof

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Maxwell cards like GTX 970 have the "boost" technology that is a kind of auto-overclock. It raises card clocks if the thermals are good. Unless you are going to do benchmarks for the e-peen, overclocking will not give you any real world advantage.

Yes, get a card with good cooler like MSI 970 Gaming, Gigabyte Gaming or ASUS Strix.

Solution