[SOLVED] PCIe 4.0 SSD and future proofing new build

h3r3t1k

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
So I had to decide which main drive I was gonna get, PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 NVMe SSD. Make it short : I decided to get the Corsair MP600 Pro 1TB on sale which at 155€ is 25€ more than the non-pro which was also on sale. I figured if I was gonna go 4.0 I should go with the current performance standard instead of getting the very first PCIe 4.0 SSD.

Why not 3.0 and maybe get 2TB instead of 1TB? Well I'm on a X570 board and with Windows 11 coming, a PCIe 4.0 SSD is more future proof. If I got a 2TB PCIe 3.0 SSD NOW I'd be stuck with it. This way I can still get a 1-2TB PCIe 3.0 SSD down the line but have a really fast main drive.

Do you agree? I've agonized over this.

h3r3t1k

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
PCIE 3.0 or 4.0 - doesn't matter. Get one with better endurance ratings.

You don't think it'll matter at all down the line? The non-pro has the better endurance:

"Corsair didn’t improve the MP600 Pro’s endurance ratings, though. In fact, instead of improving, the Pro has slightly lower endurance than the MP600. Corsair’s MP600 Pro comes backed by a five-year warranty and is rated to endure up to 700TB of written data per 1TB of drive capacity, while the original MP600 carries a much higher 1,800TB-per-1TB of capacity rating."

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
NVMe direct storage is likely to be more important in AAA titles in the future. But far from standard yet, so games will still be designed to work without it. Gen 3 drives are probably good enough, and even if not, anything like that should be pre-loaded into memory. Since PCs have expandable memory, generally, another point in their favor.

If you can win a quarter on a bet/wager on CrystalDiskMark sequential reads/writes with a friend stuck with a lowly PCI-e 3.0 device, then PCI-e 4.0 is impressive, as it sounds 'twice as fast'...

For 'real world' results, trimming boot times from 10 seconds to 9.48 seconds, or trimming loading some game level from 29 seconds to 28 seconds is somewhat less noteworthy, however...

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
"Future proofing" based on drive technology is a wasted effort.
Except in cases of natural disaster affecting production, drive price per GB almost always comes down over time.

PCIe 3.0 and 2TB vs PCIe 4.0 and 1TB?
No question...the 3.0