Question PCIe 4.0 SSD Never Reaches It's Advertised Sequential Read Speed

AtomikDjakareh_32G

Prominent
Aug 25, 2022
I just got a brand new Kingston Fury Renegade 500GB SSD, which is regarded by many reviewers as one of the best, fastest PCIe 4.0 SSDs on the market today...

My model has advertised speeds of 7.300MB/s sequential read and 3.900MB/s sequential write.

However, after various benchmarks, I've noticed the SSD NEVER ACTUALLY REACHES that sequential read speed. The fastest it has gone is 7040MB/s.
Curiously it surpasses the rated seq write speed a bit - 3.926-3.933MB/s.

No matter what tests I run, the drive will never ever reach its advertised sequential read speeds.

My motherboard and processor both support PCIe 4.0 x4, the PCIe link speed is set to Gen4 in the UEFI and the SSD is properly detected as PCIe 4.0 x4 on CrystalDiskInfo and other similar tools.

Note: I am aware that 7040MB/s read speed is incredibly fast, and light years faster than the WD SN750 I had here before...

I just want to know if there is a way for me to actually make the drive operate at its rated 7.300MB/s. I even got the model with a heat sink to prevent any overheating issues.

AtomikDjakareh_32G

Prominent
Aug 25, 2022
7300 advertised vs 7040 actual.
That is pretty typical.

Is this your OS drive?
Yep. But even testing with a Linux live cd using hdparm or fio commands, the fastest speed it ever gets up to is around 7026-7040MB/s.
But then is that the max speed I can expect out of this SSD? My guess is that it will only achieve the rated 7300MB/s under very specific conditions and with very specific tasks/workloads, correct?