News PCIe 5.0 SSDs Generates Errors, Shut Down Without Cooler: Fix On The Way

May 10, 2023
Can you explain precisely how it knows when it's left unattended?
Cool trick!
So if I attend it, my data is safe, waln away and in two minutes the file system throws errors.
Good to know.

D

Deleted member 2838871

True but I shouldn't have to use a 4090-sized heatsink to cool an SSD (I'm obviously exaggerating)

I'm just wondering how I'm gonna install a PCIE 5.0 SSD... because the slot is below the Noctua D15... behind the 4090.

No room for a heatsink.

dehjomz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
More early adopter pain. Am5 ryzen blowing up, thunderbolt 4 bugs, phison pcie5 firmware bugs, apple m1 pro/max had some serious thunderbolt related bugs in the early firmware from late 2021.

The current rule in the pc space is: if it's a new platform, proceed with extreme caution. Do not expect stability.

Atleast phison has taken responsibility and is committed to rectifying the situation promptly.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
U.2 drives are 2.5" format drives which sit in a hard drive cage, not on the motherboard itself like M.2.
IMO, we need more U.2 over M.2

Bring back the obsolete/dead 1.8" HDD format, and re-use that exclusively for modern SSD's.

It gives you more PCB area than 30110 M.2 size and has built in Aluminium Chasis that you can use for cooling.

2.5" HDD format should be left "EXCLUSIVELY" for HDD's.

Stop using a unnecessarily larger format when 1.8" is better for SSD's, has the right compact size while being good enough on basic cooling surface area.

Reactions: PEnns

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
It's ignorant to run a PCIe 5 SSD without a heatsink when it's known that one is required.
This. Heat problems with nvme drives without a heatsink showed up with the fastest gen 3 drives, and were a hard requirement for gen 4 drives.

I've used one on a drive as a standard for about 3 years now. My favorite for gen 4 drives is the sabrent one that has a couple of heat pipes on it, and some heavy nubby copper ones I got from ebay.

I'm not sure why someone would stick a gen 5 drive into a test bed even for a few minutes. The drive should have throttled and been preserved, but the very same would have happened if someone tried to run a cpu or gpu without a heatsink/fan.

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
More early adopter pain. Am5 ryzen blowing up, thunderbolt 4 bugs, phison pcie5 firmware bugs, apple m1 pro/max had some serious thunderbolt related bugs in the early firmware from late 2021.

The current rule in the pc space is: if it's a new platform, proceed with extreme caution. Do not expect stability.

Atleast phison has taken responsibility and is committed to rectifying the situation promptly.
1970's computer science joke.

"You can identify early adopters and true pioneers by the number of arrows they have sticking out of their backs".

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Intel jumped the gun with PCIe 5.0. No GPUs yet support it, and the PCIe 5.0 SSDs all require ridiculous cooling solutions to offer a level of performance that consumers don't need and can barely notice over a fast PCIe 4.0 SSD.

That said, I'm aware that AMD was first to ship a platform with the M.2 slot running at PCIe 5.0 speeds, but I still think PCIe 5.0 doesn't belong anywhere in a mainstream desktop PC and it was Intel who opened that door after getting repeatedly embarrassed with lagging PCIe 4.0 support.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's ignorant to run a PCIe 5 SSD without a heatsink when it's known that one is required.
Because heatsinks can be improperly installed or work loose (e.g. during shipping or transport of an assembled system), it's a design flaw if a SSD outright malfunctions due to over-heating. Not to mention clogging with dust is a far-too-common problem for PCs, with similar effects.

The worst that should happen, during overheating, is loss of performance - not outright malfunctions or physical damage. CPU makers clued into this thinking over2 decades ago!

Phison did the right thing by owning up to the problem and issuing a fix.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's almost like U.2 was created to address these problems...
Yes, but... U.2 doesn't help this much, unless it's mounted somewhere with sufficient airflow. So, it's still not an adequate substitute for proper thermal throttling by the SSD controller.

I'm with you on U.2, however. I wish consumer motherboards had better support for them.

Bring back the obsolete/dead 1.8" HDD format, and re-use that exclusively for modern SSD's.
No, please don't. Desktop PC cases already have to contend with 5.25", 3.5", and 2.5" form factors. We don't need yet a 4th form factor!

2.5" is small enough for just about any desktop, provides a decent amount of surface area, and ample PCB area that can host a larger number of older, cheaper NAND chips, or go ahead and use newer ones for the largest capacity and best speed.

2.5" HDD format should be left "EXCLUSIVELY" for HDD's.
No, please don't. 2.5" HDDs are dying out. Because HDDs are mostly about having a cost-effective way to add capacity, the 2.5" form factor doesn't make sense. It was mostly an enterprise and laptop thing - enterprise drives used it to enable higher RPMs and shorter stroke distances, which is now pointless because SSDs are so much faster. Laptops used it to reduce size, weight, and power... but nobody uses HDDs in laptops, anymore.

2.5" HDDs make almost no sense to anyone, any more.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm just wondering how I'm gonna install a PCIE 5.0 SSD... because the slot is below the Noctua D15... behind the 4090.

No room for a heatsink.
So, what I'm currently planning to do is buy a U.2 Intel P5520 (also called Solidigm D7-P5520) on ebay. They run in the ballpark of $100/TB (new), which is very cheap for a datacenter drive of that caliber!

It's "only" a PCIe 4.0 drive, but it'll probably smoke any PCIe 5.0 consumer drive on latency and QoS, under heavy workloads. That means it won't stutter your games, no matter how hard they hit it. Not to mention endurance of 1 DWPD for 5 years!

It's a 2.5" drive, so you just mount it in your drive cage, presumably catching the full blast of one of your intake fans. You can get adapters for letting you connect a U.2 cable to a M.2 slot.

This is a rare opportunity. Once the storage market returns to normal, I could easily imagine such drives costing several times as much.

Last edited: