[SOLVED] PCIe 6+2 pin connector to 4pin CPU connector?

Mar 8, 2020
PC specifications:
• motherboard: Gigabyte z390 gaming X
• PSU: Corsair CX750
• GPU: MSI Geforce GTX1060 6GB
• CPU: Intel I7 9700K
• RAM: 2x8Gb Kingston HyperX Fury 2133Mhz
• Cooling: Corsair AIO H115i pro

I'm planning to OC my CPU as I really like to get the most performance out of my build.
I bought the AIO Cooling as I read online that normal fan cooling might not cut it when extreme OC'ing the I7 9700K.
What I didn't know was that my motherboard had an extra 4 pin connector for splitting the power that goes through the CPU and adding an additional 12V to it. As i want to get the most out of my system I'm really looking for an extreme OC, so this connector is a big necessity.
The Corsair CX750 does not have a 12V 4 pin connector but it does have 2 PCIe 6+2 pin connectors.
As i don't want to buy a new PSU for the sole purpose of OC'ing my processor, I was wondering if I could strip apart 1 of the PCIe connectors to make it a 4pin connector.
I understand it is not possible to do it directly, but I do wonder if I could use 2 12V cables and 2 ground cables from the PCIe 6+2 pin to make my own 4 pin connector?
Also I only use 1 GPU and I'm not planning on going SLI for my GPU any time soon.

Last edited:
Solution
I'm not really understanding what are you trying to do exactly.

The CX750 has an 1x8 pin eps 12V cable for the CPU... this can split into 2x4 pin eps.
Your motherboard has 1x8 pin + 1x4 pin eps 12V on it.

You only need the 1x8 eps for your CPU... the additional 4 pin is only for extreme overclockers... that includes sub zero stuff with liquid nitrogen etc.

You won't ever be able to exceed the power provided from the 1x8 pin, unless you're planning to use liquid nitrogen and OC that 9700K to 6 GHz or whatever.
Mar 8, 2020
What is the question?

If you are considering using an adaptor from 6+2 PCI-e to 4-pin 12V EPS (CPU), it won't work.

But I don't know exactly what you are asking
No I'm not considering an adaptor as that wont work like you said.
I was wondering if I could strip apart 1 connector of the 6+2 PCIe and only use the 12V and ground cables and put them inside a 4-pin connector. In theory this should work but I'm just not sure.

Mar 8, 2020
No, In theory this should NOT work. There are other properties of your motherboard that require the voltage regulations of your EPS connector (RAM slots, SATA ports). They'd be shot to hell and back if you tried to pump more power through them.

-Wolf sends
I still don't understand why this wouldn't work as it would use the same cables as a normal 4pin EPS connector? Is there something extra that regulates the power going through in a standard 4pin EPS connector?

Adapters generally are not recommended. That's why everyone here is telling, this would not work.
But that's not really true.
Corsair CX750 is capable enough. You could use molex to CPU 4pin adapter.

2pcs-lot-4-Pin-Ide-Molex-To-Motherboard-4-Pin-P4-CPU-Power-Adapter-Cable.jpg

The CX750 has an 1x8 pin eps 12V cable for the CPU... this can split into 2x4 pin eps.

You only need the 1x8 eps for your CPU... the additional 4 pin is only for extreme overclockers... that includes sub zero stuff with liquid nitrogen etc.

You won't ever be able to exceed the power provided from the 1x8 pin, unless you're planning to use liquid nitrogen and OC that 9700K to 6 GHz or whatever.

Solution
Mar 8, 2020

i tried OC'ing it with the 1x8 pin EPS 12V and when going over 4.9Ghz it was really unstable.
It could be the silicon lottery that screwed me over but i was thinking that maybe if i split power supply to the CPU i could get a little higher.

Also it get's extremely hot when i try to benchmark it with prime95 to 110°C even... which shouldn't happen with my new AIO Cooler

i tried OC'ing it with the 1x8 pin EPS 12V and when going over 4.9Ghz it was really unstable.
It could be the silicon lottery that screwed me over but i was thinking that maybe if i split power supply to the CPU i could get a little higher.

Definitely silicon, from what it sounds like... what voltage are you trying to run at 5 GHz?

EDIT:110C is way out of spec... it should automatically shut down before that temp.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020
Definitely silicon, from what it sounds like... what voltage are you trying to run at 5 GHz?
I think i was running at around 1.36V and it kept BSOD on start up.
Don't want to go above 1.4V
Now I might try some different things like LLC and AVX maybe this will help.
EDIT:110C is way out of spec... it should automatically shut down before that temp.
This was only for testing inside Prime95 i know 110°C is not the way to go but i also know Prime95 testing is
known to get really hot.

I think i was running at around 1.36V and it kept BSOD on start up.
Don't want to go above 1.4V
Now I might try some different things like LLC and AVX maybe this will help.

This was only for testing inside Prime95 i know 110°C is not the way to go but i also know Prime95 testing is
known to get really hot.

Make sure you're running Prime95 with AVX disabled.
Run it at 4.9 GHz with the voltage you know it's stable and report back the CPU temps.