Question PCIe slot and GPU dead ?

Aug 11, 2022
Specs
msi b350 gaming plus
Zotac 2070 super
Ryzen 7 2700x
Ripjaws 4x8 gb ddr4
800w evga psu

So I've tried almost everything after my PC died last night. The fans ramped up really fast and then died immediately. Now the display won't come on and GPU fans won't come on either and no display ( tried in multiple pcs ) only the LEDs come on for the GPU. So I figured maybe just the GPU died however I tried using a working GPU on the same mobo and nothing.. the VGA bios light stays on and I don't have onboard. I've also tried using the other pcie slots and it's the same story. I've also tried swapping the PSU. I'm still not entirely sure what happened but I have a new mobo coming soon today so I'll update one it arrives and I do future testing. All help is greatly appreciated!
Edit : I just wanted to mention I did take apart the GPU to take a look and clean it up. I saw nothing obvious wrong with it besides a lot of oil from the thermal pads which I've heard isn't usually a problem so I just cleaned it all up with isopropyl alcohol pads.

Last edited:
What is the exact model of your "800w EVGA power supply"? Because it has been a long time since EVGA offered anything in an 800w capacity. For years all their platforms have primarily been 550w, 650w, 750w, 850w, 1000w, etc. And, how long that you know of has that unit been in service?

Also, what is the model and approximate age of the unit you swapped it out with? Please list actual model numbers as found on the PSU label.

Reactions: phenodreum
Well, that 600b is certainly not the answer. That unit has one place it belongs and that's in the dumpster. Seriously. Very poor quality unit.

The Supernova G3 on the other hand is an excellent power supply but depending on how old it is it could still be the problem. Might seem unlikely for both PSUs to not allow the system to POST but it wouldn't even come close to being the first time we've seen this exact type thing happen.

Far more likely to be the board though, so since you've already ordered one anyhow obviously you want to do that and go from there. If that does not solve the issue, I think I'd at least test the PSU to make sure it's not the problem. Might also want to remove all the memory leaving only one DIMM installed, in the A2 slot, and rotate through all the sticks until sure that isn't the problem.

Reactions: phenodreum

TRENDING THREADS