[SOLVED] PCIe bifurcation, and moving drives to similar motherboard

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
So I am going to get a gigabyte x570 aorus pro wifi ATX motherboard, I am curious about bifurication on that motherboard. I currently have the same motherboard, but in an ITX form factor, more on that later. I currently have a ryzen 9 3900x and rtx 2070 super, a corsair mp 510 1tb drive (C drive), adata sx 8200 pro 2tb (D drive), those are the important parts. The thing I am wondering is, the 2070 super is going into the first slot of the new x570 aorus pro wifi ATX board. I also want to be able to put an ASUS hyper card (or similar) into the second x16 slot, along with a capture card in one of the smaller slots. Assuming all 4 of the hyper card slots are populated, will I run into bottlenecks with the video card? Am i even able to do this on x570, or will I have to go threadripper? Or am I better off going with a bunch of 16tb seagate HDD's? I want to record and stream 1080p games from my nintendo switch and I need space to put raw video (which will be deleted after uploading) and for the final video. Programs will remain on the 1 and 2tb SSD's, any additional storage on hyper cards or internal HDD's will be videos and backups of both of my current 1 and 2tb ssd's.

The other question I have is, can I simply move both of my current 1/2tb SSD's to the new motherboard? It is essentially the same board just in an ATX form factor, or will I have to reinstall windows 10?

Solution
Be prepared for a full wipe and reinstall.
But try it, see what happens. It might work just fine.
But if it does not, you'll be prepared.

What, specifically, is on the D drive? Personal files, no problem.
Applications? If a reinstall is needed, those would be null and void. Need to be reinstalled as well.

USAFRet

Titan
"essentially the same board " leans towards...'it will work'.
But there is NO 100% guarantee.

With a new motherboard, 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

Here, I would expect #1.
But be prepared for a full fail.

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
"essentially the same board " leans towards...'it will work'.
But there is NO 100% guarantee.

With a new motherboard, 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
Here, I would expect #1.
But be prepared for a full fail.
So what should I do to be safe if I still want my old data? I do have some programs but i dont remember the exact names of them. Could I just make an image, put that on my D drive, then load the image onto the C drive after I physically put both drives into the new system, or should I do something else?

USAFRet

Titan
So what should I do to be safe if I still want my old data? I do have some programs but i dont remember the exact names of them. Could I just make an image, put that on my D drive, then load the image onto the C drive after I physically put both drives into the new system, or should I do something else?
An image is little different than moving the physical drive from old board to new, and hoping it simply boots up.

There is no shortcut for this.
Document document document.
Backup your personal data to elsewhere, and have it offline during this process.

It may well work in the new motherboard.
But it also may fail.

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
An image is little different than moving the physical drive from old board to new, and hoping it simply boots up.

There is no shortcut for this.
Document document document.
Backup your personal data to elsewhere, and have it offline during this process.

It may well work in the new motherboard.
But it also may fail.
I mean im not looking for any shortcuts, im just looking for anything to do at all. To be safe would I have to just bite the bullet, wipe the drive after noting all the programs I have, backing up files, and reload and reinstall everything? And what about the D drive, would that also have to be wiped or not?

USAFRet

Titan

Applications? If a reinstall is needed, those would be null and void. Need to be reinstalled as well.

Solution

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018

Its some programs and personal files.