[SOLVED] PCIe Bus for GPU?

Tenn01

Prominent
Aug 18, 2021
Hey friends, I have a i5-11400 with a Gigabyte B460M DS3H V2(chipset H470) and an old GPU which has seen better days.
So I saw this in CPU-Z and was wondering if it CPU-Mobo combo should support a PCI-E 4.0 GPU link? Should that be a consideration in case I grab another GPU in future? Would a PCI-E 4.0 have significant difference to PCI-E 3.0? Thanks in advance!

v1hhaFb.png

i believe you will need to swap mainboard to B560 or Z490 (some do) or Z590 for PCIE gen 4
but for GPU its not much different between gen3 and gen4...u may feel difference when you run out of video RAM and it will start using your system ram...faster speed on PCIE would help...but thats all

Reactions: Tenn01

Tenn01

Prominent
Aug 18, 2021
Thanks a lot of the answers! Why does it says 4.0 on the Motherboard bus specs? Would it support a 4.0 link for, say, a NVMe?
Is is technologically possible that the Motherboard vendor or Intel releases a new BIOS/software that would enable 4.0 for the chipset?

Tenn01

Prominent
Aug 18, 2021
Not sure where you are seeing that. According to the specs "(All of the PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)"
There is x4 but that is the lane count not the version.
On the screenshot I posted, says "Bus Specs PCI-Express 4.0(16.0 GT/s)" on the Motherboard tab. So maybe it doesn't support for video, but for something else? Error in CPU-Z report?

On the screenshot I posted, says "Bus Specs PCI-Express 4.0(16.0 GT/s)" on the Motherboard tab. So maybe it doesn't support for video, but for something else? Error in CPU-Z report?
cpu does supports it, but mainboard bios has to supports it aswell
if it read pcie 4.0, it means its there, but its set in bios as gen3 (for obvious reasons...either mainboard couldnt run it, or you dont have any pcie4 devices to test it with)

Tenn01

Prominent
Aug 18, 2021
cpu does supports it, but mainboard bios has to supports it aswell
if it read pcie 4.0, it means its there, but its set in bios as gen3 (for obvious reasons...either mainboard couldnt run it, or you dont have any pcie4 devices to test it with)
Is is technologically possible that the Motherboard vendor or Intel, or other, releases a new BIOS/software in the future that would enable 4.0 for the GPU?

Is is technologically possible that the Motherboard vendor or Intel, or other, releases a new BIOS/software in the future that would enable 4.0 for the GPU?
thats up to mainboard maker to make that decision (but intel can block it aswell)
when amd came with cpie gen4...it went with x570 only support (from amd), but some mainboard makers had pcie4 enabled in beta bios for x470 boards, which was later disabled in official bios release (stability reasons vs amd)

Reactions: Tenn01