Question PCIe cable shoved into CPU power slot

Jun 7, 2019
I accidentally shoved my PCIe cable into the CPU power slot, I did not power the PC on yet and I have taken it out. I’m just wondering if this could have damaged my PC.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yes, it could have. There's no way of knowing until you do try it (properly connected). Of course, if the motherboard power connector was damaged, I'd expect black outs/crashes/sudden shut downs. If the PCIe power connector was damaged, I'd expect it to fry your graphics card on initial boot up. I'd inspect each for any type of cracks in the plastic shielding. If you find any, do not add power and start the warranty process.

-Wolf sends

Jun 7, 2019
Yes, it could have. There's no way of knowing until you do try it (properly connected). Of course, if the motherboard power connector was damaged, I'd expect black outs/crashes/sudden shut downs. If the PCIe power connector was damaged, I'd expect it to fry your graphics card on initial boot up. I'd inspect each for any type of cracks in the plastic shielding. If you find any, do not add power and start the warranty process.

-Wolf sends
Thanks a lot, I didn’t shove it in with force it connected with ease so I’m not sure I guess I’ll just try.

There was another case of this about a month or so ago, only it was then powered on, and with predictably disastrous results...; not sure whether just the MB or MB and CPU were 'gone'...

They should color code these connectors, perhaps....but, the mainboard LED/aesthetics-color matching crowd would cry over lime green, bright purple, and/ or blaze safety orange connectors, I suspect! :)