[SOLVED] Pcie cable won't fit my graphics card

Feb 24, 2021
I have 2 pcie cables the same, featureing one 8 pin connector and two 6/8 pin connectors. When I go to plug the pcie into my graphics card it doesn't line up at all. I'm rocking a msi armor radeon rx 580 8 gb with a corsair cx650f power supply. I'm sure the parts are compatible I'm very confused

Solution
8pin connector is EPS connector, not pci-e, even if they look similar, they are not, pcie connector is ALWAYS 6 or 6+2 pin
While 6+2 may be the most common 8-pin PCIe connector configuration, cables with a solid 8-pins PCIe connectors do exist.

That said, from OP's cable description and the fact that he has a modular PSU, it looks like he may be attempting to plug in his modular cables the wrong way around.

InvalidError

Titan
8pin connector is EPS connector, not pci-e, even if they look similar, they are not, pcie connector is ALWAYS 6 or 6+2 pin
While 6+2 may be the most common 8-pin PCIe connector configuration, cables with a solid 8-pins PCIe connectors do exist.

That said, from OP's cable description and the fact that he has a modular PSU, it looks like he may be attempting to plug in his modular cables the wrong way around.

Solution
Feb 24, 2021
I think I've figured it out, my solid 8 pin fits in my power supply, and my 6+2 pin fits into my graphics card good. although I have another connector exactly the same dangling 20 cm below it. I can cable tie it out the way, just wanna be sure it's right as its my first pc build

InvalidError

Titan
just wanna be sure it's right as its my first pc build
As kerb pointed out, connectors may LOOK similar at first glance but they are usually keyed to fit only one way and only where they are supposed to go to prevent mistakes. If you look closely at the connectors side by side between the "connector that fits" and the other that doesn't, you will likely see that the sequence of square and half-hexagon pins is either shifted or inverted.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have 2 pcie cables the same, featureing one 8 pin connector and two 6/8 pin connectors. When I go to plug the pcie into my graphics card it doesn't line up at all. I'm rocking a msi armor radeon rx 580 8 gb with a corsair cx650f power supply. I'm sure the parts are compatible I'm very confused
Your cables should look like this.

https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImageCompressAll1280/17-139-263-V06.jpg

The 8 pin gets plugged into the power supply and you have 2 X 6+2 pins at the other end that goes to the video card.

EDIT if you card just needs a 8 pin then you would use one of the 6+2 pins.