[SOLVED] PCIE cables for TX650M

colbs2411

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018
hello all,

I have recently been updating my pc and want to buy some new pcie cables, as the 8 - 8+6 cable i have at present for the msi 1080 gaming x rubs against the tempered glass on my meshify c and - somewhat less importantly - looks awful.

Instead of having one cable hitting the window on my case, I wondered if i could instead run two seperate cables from the gpu to the psu (one 8 pin and one 6 pin) for better aesthetics.

i know this would be fine on the gpu end, but i am more curious about the psu and whether it would support this. I have left a link to a picture of the psu inputs (if anyone could post any image showing where best to plug in seperate 8 pin and 6 pin pcie cables that would really help)

https://www.scan.co.uk/images/products/2828899-b.jpg

thank you in advance for any support!

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the reply, I did check Corsair but must've missed it - my mistake. however, I was looking to get two seperate cables instead if i can (I have edited the first post as this was unclear). Thank you for your help though, if two cables wont work properly with this psu, then I now know where to look.

One thing to take into consideration is that there is not such thing as a standardized "8 to 6+2" cable. The ends of the PCIE cables that connect to the GPU are standardized, but the end that connects to the modular PSU are most assuredly not. You need to buy cables that are specifically compatible with a Corsair TX650, which means Corsair or places like cablemod. Buying a PCIE cable that doesn't have a compatible...

colbs2411

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018
Thanks for the reply, I did check Corsair but must've missed it - my mistake. however, I was looking to get two seperate cables instead if i can (I have edited the first post as this was unclear). Thank you for your help though, if two cables wont work properly with this psu, then I now know where to look.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan

One thing to take into consideration is that there is not such thing as a standardized "8 to 6+2" cable. The ends of the PCIE cables that connect to the GPU are standardized, but the end that connects to the modular PSU are most assuredly not. You need to buy cables that are specifically compatible with a Corsair TX650, which means Corsair or places like cablemod. Buying a PCIE cable that doesn't have a compatible pinout can result in destroying your GPU, your power supply, or worse.

Solution

colbs2411

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018
Thank you, this is what I was worried about - will likely stick to what I have or Kerberos_20's suggestion then.

Thank you both for the help, really appreciate it.