[SOLVED] PCIe cables question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

johnrob

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014
I have two 8 pin PCIe cables but I need a 6 pin cable for a new GPU that I'm getting. From what I've read pins 1,2,3 are +12v and 4-8 are all ground cables.

I do not have the oem cables anymore.

Would it then be okay to make a cable where 1,2,3,5,6,7 go to a 6 pin connector and pin 4 loops back to pin 8 on the PSU side?

If I had a 6+2 cable I would just zip tie it down, but the GPU connectors I have are a solid 8 pin 6+2 block, I can't disconnect the +2.

PSU is a Corsair RMx 750 white edition PSU.

Last edited:
Solution
You know, that sounds almost exactly the same as what practically every person who ever came here and was unwilling to put in ANY work in order to solve their own problems has also said. Amazing how that works. I'm sure this thread would have turned out much different if:

1. You wouldn't have practically started the thread by insulting people who originally were trying to help you by calling them obtuse

2. You could have been bothered to spend five minutes looking at your system, since you clearly felt there was no need for YOU to put in work in based on this comment:

I was hoping someone would be able to point me to where I could find an actual pinout for my power supply without me having to open up my case, remove the cables...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I also understand that the PCIe pinout is not the same for every manufacturer for whatever reason
Usually is this on the psu side.

And ooops forgot i had this one,

025a073aa426023ea3558de6bc437c.jpg

Also btw, you created your own problem so don't make us the bad guys.

Last edited:
While that's true Vic, "usually" is not the same as "always", so be very careful with that, because the PSU side of the pinout IS the side that is apt to not be the same in some cases. The graphics card side will ALWAYS be the same based on whether it's 6, 8 or 12 pin. Yes, 12 pins are coming.