PCIe Card mobo compatability

C-Rock24

Honorable
May 8, 2013
The way I understood it is that all PCIe are compatible with each other. I have H61M-P31 (G3) mobo. The chipset intel h61 says pcie 2.0 and my cpu I got for the mobo is Celeron g530 witch also says pcie 2.0. Anyways im trying to put a pcie 1.0 graphics card into my mobo and I get no display but the fan on the card is running so I know its getting power. I see no option in bios to turn off the onboard video but im not sure this is even what I need to do or if that will make it work, can someone help me get this card going I know it works I tried it in another mobo and it started up/worked just fine, wish it would work for the H61M-P31 (G3) mobo. I think its not switching to the pcie card because while the computer is running and I have monitor plugged into the vga slot on the pcie card and the monitor is black, but as soon as I plug it into the vga slot on the mobo I get a visual. Can someone tell me why this happens.

C-Rock24

Honorable
May 8, 2013
I tried resetting the cmos and even took out the battery for 10+ mins but still doesn't work :( Im not sure that that even did anything cuz date and time and bios settings where all still saved from what it was b4 I took out the battery, doesn't it lose track of the time and date when you take out the battery?

C-Rock24

Honorable
May 8, 2013
yes the psu was still plugged in, I tried another pcie 1.0 card that I have laying around and same thing happens :( it will run and their will be power going to it but I will get no visual, just a black screen. as soon as I unplug It and plug into the mobo vga slot(while the computer is still on) I will get a visual and see the computer loading/desktop. For some reason I think its still running the onboard built in gpu not the one in the pcie but I don't know because the one in the pcie is still getting power. I know the cards are good they work fine in my other mobo.

C-Rock24

Honorable
May 8, 2013
I did all that, and plugged in my gpu into the pcie slot, plugged the vga into it, and still got a black screen and so I unplugged the vga cord and put it into the mobo vga slot and the screen showed up and said that the settings where reset to factory defaults. So now im really lost lol. Don't get it, seems like it keeps using the onboard vid card instead of the one in the pcie slot, only thing I can think of is because its pcie 1.0 vid card but that shouldn't matter :( I wanna buy a 2.0 video card but now im scared to if the 1.0 card wont even work on the mobo.