[SOLVED] PCIE card slowing down boot? Adding internal SATA ports to Ryzen system?

rasdane

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2017
Hello,

Sorry in advance for the long pre-amble:

My old Core i7-990X from 2011(!) finally died. It was the excuse I needed to finally build a new PC!

I use the machine as an all-rounder for:
  • Regular office-type stuff
  • Light gaming: Primarily older titles that I run 1080p
  • Running a Plex server
  • Some video-processing (for work)
My new set-up:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x (had planned on the “non-x” version, but it was out of stock)
  • Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max running latest BIOS (19.10.28 as of the time of writing).
  • Memory: 16GB G.Skill at DDR4-3600
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R6
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua Chromax NH-U12S (probably overkill for my needs, but boy is it quiet and pretty)
  • PSU: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold
  • BootDrive: Intel 660p 1 TB M.2 SSD
  • Running Win10 64

And salvaged from my old rig:
  • Monitor: HP 22VC (60MHz)
  • GPU: PowerCooler Radeon Rx 460 4GB – I plan to upgrade to a 1660 Super or maybe a 2060 in the next few months… but will need a much better monitor as well to make that make sense, so holding off for a while
  • Several external and internal HDDs (a mix of WD and Seagate) – I have to store large amounts of data for work purposes + my Plex library is not small
  • StarTech.com PEXUSB3S44V 4 Port PCIE SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Card – adding more ports for external storage drives (link here)

It’s the last bullet – the PCIE card – that’s causing me trouble!

When the card is installed, my boot time – or rather my post-time before the actual boot screen – goes up by almost a full minute! It’s as if it’s waiting for all the attached HDDs to spin up (and looking for the OS?), even though I’ve set my boot order to look at the M2 first.

This is super frustrating! I got the M2 to have a super-fast boot… and that’s not happening, at least not with the card in there. The card did not cause any boot-delay on my old Truckee-UL8E Intel X58 Express motherboard – with the Core i7-990X.

From what I can see at first glance from Amazon reviews, etc.: a lot of these port-cards cause boot slowdown on modern systems.

So my first questions is:

1. Is there anything I can do to make the boot speed up – to somehow ignore the USB-attached HDDs?

If the answer is no, one option would be for me to ditch the card, remove my external HDDs from their enclosures, and install them as internal drives instead. (The case has enough drive bays.) But the problem I run into there would be that I’d need probably 4 more internal SATA ports than what the MoBo has. And the way to get them would be to install another PCIE card… this one with internal ports. So the second question:

2. Would I just be giving myself the problem again? Would the internal drives (connected through PCIE) slow down boot in the same way? Are there any specific cards that are known to not cause these kinds of delays with Win10/Ryzen?

I really appreciate any input. I’m just looking for opinions to educate myself! Thank you in advance.

Solution
1. Is there anything I can do to make the boot speed up – to somehow ignore the USB-attached HDDs?
Not sure I understand your question and situation fully but try this:
Enter BIOS and press F7 for advanced mode
Settings on the left side, click on boot. For the fixed boot priority, set the #1 option as windows boot manager (your m.2 ssd) and disable the rest. F10 and save. Hope this helps
Hello,

Sorry in advance for the long pre-amble:

My old Core i7-990X from 2011(!) finally died. It was the excuse I needed to finally build a new PC!

I use the machine as an all-rounder for:
  • Regular office-type stuff
  • Light gaming: Primarily older titles that I run 1080p
  • Running a Plex server
  • Some video-processing (for work)
My new set-up:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x (had planned on the “non-x” version, but it was out of stock)
  • Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max running latest BIOS (19.10.28 as of the time of writing).
  • Memory: 16GB G.Skill at DDR4-3600
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R6
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua Chromax NH-U12S (probably overkill for my needs, but boy is it quiet and pretty)
  • PSU: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold
  • BootDrive: Intel 660p 1 TB M.2 SSD
  • Running Win10 64

And salvaged from my old rig:
  • Monitor: HP 22VC (60MHz)
  • GPU: PowerCooler Radeon Rx 460 4GB – I plan to upgrade to a 1660 Super or maybe a 2060 in the next few months… but will need a much better monitor as well to make that make sense, so holding off for a while
  • Several external and internal HDDs (a mix of WD and Seagate) – I have to store large amounts of data for work purposes + my Plex library is not small
  • StarTech.com PEXUSB3S44V 4 Port PCIE SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Card – adding more ports for external storage drives (link here)

It’s the last bullet – the PCIE card – that’s causing me trouble!

When the card is installed, my boot time – or rather my post-time before the actual boot screen – goes up by almost a full minute! It’s as if it’s waiting for all the attached HDDs to spin up (and looking for the OS?), even though I’ve set my boot order to look at the M2 first.

This is super frustrating! I got the M2 to have a super-fast boot… and that’s not happening, at least not with the card in there. The card did not cause any boot-delay on my old Truckee-UL8E Intel X58 Express motherboard – with the Core i7-990X.

From what I can see at first glance from Amazon reviews, etc.: a lot of these port-cards cause boot slowdown on modern systems.

So my first questions is:

If the answer is no, one option would be for me to ditch the card, remove my external HDDs from their enclosures, and install them as internal drives instead. (The case has enough drive bays.) But the problem I run into there would be that I’d need probably 4 more internal SATA ports than what the MoBo has. And the way to get them would be to install another PCIE card… this one with internal ports. So the second question:

2. Would I just be giving myself the problem again? Would the internal drives (connected through PCIE) slow down boot in the same way? Are there any specific cards that are known to not cause these kinds of delays with Win10/Ryzen?

I really appreciate any input. I’m just looking for opinions to educate myself! Thank you in advance.
Did you enable Ultra Fast Boot in bios?

Reactions: rasdane

johnsoner13

Respectable
Not sure I understand your question and situation fully but try this:
Enter BIOS and press F7 for advanced mode
Settings on the left side, click on boot. For the fixed boot priority, set the #1 option as windows boot manager (your m.2 ssd) and disable the rest. F10 and save. Hope this helps

Reactions: rasdane
Solution

rasdane

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2017
Thank you for the feedback. After doing some more digging, I realized that the PCIE card was not the issue... but rather this is a problem for a lot of other users of the MSI B450 boards. But thank you, anyway.